New Kodiak 700 - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 5Likes

Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

New Kodiak 700

Just picked up a new 2019 Kodiak 700 SE in Backcountry Blue!! Really excited to learn the hobby, and get to know my new machine! Was able to put about 25 miles on this weekend. It has tons of power, but the suspension seems terrible. Bounces all over and doesnít want to turn. Any suggestions on adjustments? Iím totally new to ATVís!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:52 PM

Welcome to the Kodiak family. First check your tire pressure. And set to 4lbs in all 4 tires. Second stock tires are junk, most guy’s here get rid of them for reasons you mentioned and more. Also you can get better handling by adding 1” or 1.5” spacers behind each wheel to widen the stance. Most guy’s will also set the spring pre-load on each shock stiffer, try experimenting with that. You have a nice machine and once you get it adjusted and customized the way you like it (which is half the fun) you will love it.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:16 PM

Welcome to the site.

I for one have no problems with stock tires and will run them until I need new ones.

For your turning problem, have you ever really rode a 4 wheeler? There is a learning curve to them and if you lean into the turn if you are traveling at a good speed it will help in the turning. It does sound like the bouncing problem is too much air in the tires. You should have a low pressure tire gauge with the tool kit under the seat.
TRW likes this.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Congrats on the new machine!

Suspension isn't really bad or great, I have mine cranked all the way up and it does a good job.

Changing it out for better aftermarket stuff gets expensive!

2019 Kodiak 700 EPS SE
26" Maxxis Zilla's / Warn VRx Winch / Light Bar
UNI air filter / Strong Made Front & Rear Baskets
JBS 18g Clutch weights / 1 1/2" HDM Spacers
Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Garage
Welcome to the Kodiak Forums, we always need more members!

I rode mine completely stock for a year and a half. And about 300+ hours. With stock tires.

If you are not wanting to spend all your money. Just get more used to it, if your front tires are very soft it allows for more body roll too. Maybe a bit more air pressure. I was running around 6.5 psi in the front stock tires. Just experiment. Of course a higher ply tire very much helps keep it from body rolling as much.

My friend is still running his bald stock tires 4 years later. And we do alot of technical stuff.

About 2 or 3 beers usually gets that suspension feeling right lol

Once I was used to mine and learned how to use the throttle in turns to make it turn more quickly, i never even thought about it again.
fossil likes this.

<:: 2018 Kodiak 700 Base ::>
Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys! I will start by turning up the preload and checking the tire pressure. I haven’t spent a lot of time on ATV’s but I’m riding with guys on a Polaris and a Kaw. Their stock machines are glued to the trail, and mine is like an angry bull bucking all over the place. So... it isn’t me. They both laughed at how difficult it was to handle when they took a turn.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 AM

I found with my 700 kodiak, I bumper the preload up to 4, there are 5 settings, dealer has it on 3. Also, with too little air in the tire, the bike doesn''t corner well, it rolls the body hard. I'm running 6.5 in my fronts and they work great in the corners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
Old 01-14-2020, 09:28 AM

I ran my bike for only one trip with stock front tires. Never again! Real junk.... Even with 8 psi the front tires would fold over themselves in corners and made the bike dangerously unstable.

With my at Growlers (@ 3.5 psi) I can hit all corners with full force and the bike is always feels planted, predictable and stable.... In my opinion for any kind of spirited driving the stock tires are dangerous

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 01-14-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 AM

Garage
Welcome to the fun, I also ran about 6 in the front during the summer on my stock tires and during the winter I would bring it up closer to 8, due to plow weight. After 2 years of stock tires on trails and feeling the sidewalls roll on the trails I couldn't take it. I up graded to 14 inch grizzly rims with 27 inch zilla tires that are a 6 ply. I do not have any trail time on them yet so I can not give you an feeling for them that way.
During the summer for suspension I usually run the front on 3 as well as the rear. But when it comes time to make my machine work I usually crank them up to 5 so the machine doesn't bottom out easily do to the weight.
I can say for a fact I have pulled cars out of the ditch with my Kodiak so these machines have all the power you could want and then some.

2018 Kodiak 700 Hunter Edition EPS, 2005 Suzuki Eiger 400.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:43 AM

I had forgot how much I played around with tire pressure on the stock tires, more was better but ultimately gave up and bought new tires. If you can not get them to hook up like you want you will need to buy some better tires. Do your research on tires to make sure you will be happy with what you end up with and you will be able to have that Kodi keeping up with your buddies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in