Avator Intro - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Avator Intro

Mornin'
My name is Bill. I've owned several wheelers over the years and recently became really tired of putting bandaids on them. One year ago I acquired a 2019 Kodiak 450 4x4 (non EPS). This year we bought a 2019 420 Rancher 2wd.
My wife and I enjoy trail riding together.
About a month ago I swamped the Kodiak up to my neck in a river. I drained it all out, changed the oil/filter several times and all seemed fine. Last week we finish up a day on the trails and took the bikes to the wash bay. After hosing them off the Kodiak would not start. The fuel pump wouldn't run. I have a buddy in town that just opened a powersport shop. He does mostly UTV and SXS but he is very knowledgeable. He dug in and found out the ECU went bad. The roll over safety specifically. He jumpered it for me so it runs but I'm going to order a new ECU and replace it.... year, the warranty is out.
My searching the web brought me here....
Here is my question....
Before I put $552 plus tax and shipping into an OEM ECU, should I be looking at an aftermarket upgrade? Is $552+ the least expensive way to go? Would an upgrade if available) be worth additional money spent if the cost is higher?
TIA
post #2 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM

Sounds like it is just the switch that is bad if he was able to jumper it and the Kodiak started back up.

I looked at a parts diagram but couldn't come up with it's location or part number. You may want to go down to your local dealer and see what the part number is and how much before you go spending money on a ECU that might not be needed.

I was thinking did he jumper the fuel pump relay? I looked at a repair manual and don't see a roll over switch.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JimP; 10-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No Sir...
He jumpered the connections on the ECU wiring. There is a safety circuit in there to shut the bike down and stop the fuel pump in the event of a roll over. The symtoms are, if you turn the key on, the fuel pump does not kick on and the bike will crank but, not start. As it is now (jumpered), I will have to shut the bike off if I roll it. I spoke to the tech at the dealership today and he confirmed that the issue is the ECU. Part #: BB5-8591A-00-00.
I found the part for $552 plus shipping and tax... Just wondered if the there is an aftermarket upgrade that would be worth purchasing instead of the OEM part.
BTW.... The ECU is $800 + from the dealer.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The mechanic and I were both hoping it was just a relay.... no such luck.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Check on Ebay for a part out and if you find one make sure that it comes with a warranty

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ebay has a used one for half the price but, as we all know.... no return on electrical parts. I've been burned before.
I'll most likely buy from YamahaPartsHouse.com
I called and spoke to them... seem to be nice folks. It's an actual parts house with humans answering the phone. I'm confident I did the leg work to insure I'm getting the right part from a reputable source.

The wife and I don't do any crazy riding that requires any superwhamadyne monster machines. There are some good places here in lower Alabama to ride. Both the Kodiak and the Rancher are bone stock. I just zigged when I should have zagged and stuck the Kodiak in the river up to my neck. By all rights, it could have been much worse than an ECU.... I could be looking for a motor right now.... that would bite.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 08:05 PM
TRW

I think this needs more research, before you condemn the ECU. Your description of the swamping, means there are many electrical connections etc, I would condemn before the ECU. Good luck!

I am not in favor of buying open parts from anywhere, they are easy to sell when the did not work or dead out of the box, you can't be certain they are good.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-10-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your responses...
The ECU was tested and is bad.
I cross referenced Parts outlet number with OEM number through Dealership and Parts Outlet via telephone. I also confirmed that it is a new oem part in sealed factory box.
I was given a discount code for 10%. To my door is $562. I placed the order this morning. I will receive in 6 - 10 days.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The ECU is tracked to be delivered today. Plastics are off and ready for the swap. Jumper is located for removal. I'll post results after work today.

2019 Kodiak 450 4wd
2019 Rancher 420 2wd
Air Gun Enthusiast
post #10 of 12 Old 10-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avator46 View Post
The ECU is tracked to be delivered today. Plastics are off and ready for the swap. Jumper is located for removal. I'll post results after work today.
Waiting for the results.

2019 Kodiak EPS SE
Backcountry Blue

2007 Grizzly 400
Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page