New! Need help deciding! - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

New! Need help deciding!

Hey all, new to the site, from Maryland. I’m looking to learn a lot of information and have already learned a lot from the posts.

I am looking for some help. I am trying to decide between the 2019 Yamaha Grizzly EPS SE 700 and the 2019 Yamaha Kodiak EPS SE 700. This will be my first quad. The quad will primarily be used for work around the farmette. I’d be getting on and off the quad a lot, pulling a trailer (mostly for mulch), pulling other yard equipment, and possibly attaching a sprayer. I’d like to also get a plow at some point for my lengthy driveway. In certain circumstances it may be idling while I get off it to do something, only for me to move to a different area and have it idle again, and doing that all over again if that makes sense. It’s secondary use would be for going out with friends on trail rides, so I’d want to make sure the quad would also be great there.

I’ve set myself up to get either quad, so price isn’t necessarily the issue. I just rather get the one most appropriate for my situation. Any help/suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks again!
post #2 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 PM

If that is what you plan on using the machine for I think that the Grizzly would be the way to go. Yamaha markets it more to the utility type of uses where the Kodiak is more towards trails and such.

However either will do what you want it to do. Perhaps with the Kodiak you would want to change the clutches but I think that stock it would work alright.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Garage
JimP: I understand it to be the opposite. I thought the Kodiak was the utility machine and the Grizzly the sporty one. I have a Kodiak 700 EPS and I've been thinking about getting the Grizzly clutch weights so that I'll have a quicker throttle response. I don't mean to be argumentative on our first interaction and I'd love to have more discussions with you about riding in Colorado.

Mapleacres4: In my opinion either model would work great for what you want to do.

post #4 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Ah okay. I thought I read somewhere the Kodiak’s were more suited for the farm/utility work and the Grizzly was more suited for trail riding. I could have misread that though. Thanks for your advice, I will definitely take it into account, along with whatever advice anyone else can give. Thanks again!
post #5 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kodiak 700 View Post
JimP: I understand it to be the opposite. I thought the Kodiak was the utility machine and the Grizzly the sporty one. I have a Kodiak 700 EPS and I've been thinking about getting the Grizzly clutch weights so that I'll have a quicker throttle response. I don't mean to be argumentative on our first interaction and I'd love to have more discussions with you about riding in Colorado.

Mapleacres4: In my opinion either model would work great for what you want to do.
You posted just as I was typing. Thanks for the opinion! Is there anything you wish you had more in the Kodiak besides the quicker throttle response? Any cons to it?

Look forward to hearing others’ opinions!
post #6 of 34 Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Garage
I have no complaints about my Kodiak so far.
post #7 of 34 Old 06-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Your correct, the Kodiak is the utility machine and I would recommend it for your needs, which are very similar to what I use mine for and trail riding being secondary. I have never rode a Grizzly on the trails to compare but I really love my Kodiak on the trails so buy the Kodiak because your primary purpose is utility and that's what it is designed for. You will be happy with it. I haul firewood, logs, dirt, rocks, & trailers weighing up to 5000lbs, and plow snow; it's a work horse.
post #8 of 34 Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
Your correct, the Kodiak is the utility machine and I would recommend it for your needs, which are very similar to what I use mine for and trail riding being secondary. I have never rode a Grizzly on the trails to compare but I really love my Kodiak on the trails so buy the Kodiak because your primary purpose is utility and that's what it is designed for. You will be happy with it. I haul firewood, logs, dirt, rocks, & trailers weighing up to 5000lbs, and plow snow; it's a work horse.
Thanks for all the responses!

KodiakAfishyo: Thank you for the detailed response. It seems like both of our primary/secondary uses for the machines are similar. Do you ever feel left behind on the trails when you ride with friends? I think I’ll take everyone’s advice and grab the Kodiak!
post #9 of 34 Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM

My votes for Kodiak! (Again lol...)

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #10 of 34 Old 06-06-2019, 04:34 PM

I have never been left behind...most have a hard time keeping up with me. I have been on trail rides with Can Am 1000 and Polaris 1000 and 570's, Razor 1000's and I had no issues keeping up with them or staying in front of them. The trails & suspension will usually dictate how fast you can go more than anything. Yes the riders ability is key also ( I use to race motocross in my younger days), but don't worry the Kodiak is a ball on the trails and has plenty of horsepower to get you in trouble quick if your not careful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page