Hello all from the southern tier of NY - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Hello all from the southern tier of NY

I have been a member on the grizzly forum for some time. Not posting a bunch but some here and there and in the kodiak section. Wife and I rode a 400 and 450 kodiak for a few years and we decided to hand them down to our two boys. We picked up a 2016 and a 2017 kodiak 700’s last Friday. Hers is the blue one. Since We have 4 now , I figured would jump aboard on here .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2EB9C35-70A2-4AA6-98CB-0F29AEF0828D_1556056978319.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	7534  
post #2 of 21 Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-c View Post
I have been a member on the grizzly forum for some time. Not posting a bunch but some here and there and in the kodiak section. Wife and I rode a 400 and 450 kodiak for a few years and we decided to hand them down to our two boys. We picked up a 2016 and a 2017 kodiak 700ís last Friday. Hers is the blue one. Since We have 4 now , I figured would jump aboard on here .
Welcome Rob! We live in Russell PA just south of Jamestown NY. We are originally from Buffalo. Where in the Southern Tier are you?

We bought his and hers 700's in 2016. They have served us well and are a lot of fun.

Enjoy your new rides!
post #3 of 21 Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Buckmaster
We are just outside of Corning, we ride tall pines in Andover & demon run in Howard all the time and will be making a second trip down to AOAA this yr again.
Buckmaster likes this.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
Welcome from Southern Oregon, Rob!

I sure enjoy my 2018!

Do you keep your rides stock, or do you plan on modifications?

Happy Trails!

: )B

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
- custom Airbox
- AIS blocked
- Yamaha OEM rear cargo box
- American Trails fender bag
2015 Kawasaki Brute Force 300
- stock
2011 Yamaha TW 200
- Jimbo windshield
- Barkbuster type handguards
- Yamaha OEM rear rack
- D.I.D. chain
- customized exhaust and tip
1987 Honda Fatcat
- customized metal rear fender and headlight pod
post #5 of 21 Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 AM

Welcome to KO!
post #6 of 21 Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Hercanstien
I did 1mm shims and blue secondary springs on our 400’s. And I was running 26 inch bear claws that I just switched over to my 700. I blocked off the air injection in our 700’s and will be ordering the EHI fuel controller for them. Future add ons are ricochet skids and possible clutch mods. But right now just enjoying the jump in horse power going from the 400’s to the 700’s.

Last edited by Rob-c; 04-27-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-28-2019, 12:08 AM

Garage
Thanks Rob,

I come from a Brute Force 300 and it felt like the power was unlimited when I rode the 700 for the first time.

Your mod plans sound very similar to my own. I have done the air induction block off and went to a clamp on air filter. My plans are for a fuel tuner and upgraded skid plates as well.

Are your 26 inch Bearclaws turning well without modding the clutch? I need new tires but am not sure about going up in size without clutch mods.

- custom Airbox
- AIS blocked
- stock
2011 Yamaha TW 200
- Jimbo windshield
- Yamaha OEM rear rack
- D.I.D. chain
1987 Honda Fatcat
post #8 of 21 Old 04-28-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercanstein View Post
Thanks Rob,

I come from a Brute Force 300 and it felt like the power was unlimited when I rode the 700 for the first time.

Your mod plans sound very similar to my own. I have done the air induction block off and went to a clamp on air filter. My plans are for a fuel tuner and upgraded skid plates as well.

Are your 26 inch Bearclaws turning well without modding the clutch? I need new tires but am not sure about going up in size without clutch mods.
I also will do the diy air filter mod, forgot that one . And yes jumping up 20 hp from the smaller quads is a welcome change. I beat the snot out of that 400, that little quad impressed me with what I threw at it and it just kept on going. I did loose some on the top end with the heavy 26 inch tires and the clutch mods and I weigh 280 too , but I was hitting mud holes the big bores were and making it out the other side. Plus I donít care about top speed I want low end grunt.

The heavy tires did cause my front wheel bearings and upper A-arm bushing to wear and develop some play on the 400. so I just replaced them on my preseason service I do every winter.
I havenít trail rode the 700 with the bear claws yet but I did run it up and down the road and I canít really tell the difference in pep from the stock maxxis that weíre on it. There are tires that are lighter than the bear claws no doubt and I donít know how much research youíve done but theres a bunch quality tires out there that are light and hold up well. I am sure next winter I will do a shim and probably a purple spring but for now I am happy. Hopefully next weekend we are going out to trail ride and itís calling for rain all week so it should be no problem finding mud. When you decide on tires post up your thoughts after giving them a good test, I always like reading average joe reviews on stuff.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Are you running regular Bearclaws or the HTRs?

After slicing my sidewall last year on like the 5th ride and having to get the tire tubed, I am wanting to make sure the sidewalls are tough. With an 8 ply rating, I am thinking they will be up to the job.

- custom Airbox
- AIS blocked
- stock
2011 Yamaha TW 200
- Jimbo windshield
- Yamaha OEM rear rack
- D.I.D. chain
1987 Honda Fatcat
post #10 of 21 Old 04-29-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercanstein View Post
Are you running regular Bearclaws or the HTRs?

After slicing my sidewall last year on like the 5th ride and having to get the tire tubed, I am wanting to make sure the sidewalls are tough. With an 8 ply rating, I am thinking they will be up to the job.
They are the original k299 bear claws. I have run them on other quads I have owned over the years, and I just can’t see switching to anything else. Cant beat em for as cheap as they are and the performance/ longevity I get out of them, I like them for a good all around tire.
And yes a 6 ply or 8 would hold up, no doubt.

Last edited by Rob-c; 04-29-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page