New member in Colorado - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-21-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

New member in Colorado

Thanks for the add, I’m a newby to ATVs, and just put a deposit on a 2018 700 EPS armor grey leftover with plow today. Won’t be able to pick it up until next week, but looking for tips on anything to double check before I complete the purchase. Worked with a salesman over the phone and they just took the unit out of the crate and assembled today.

Very excited to have the ATV for utility purposes at our mountain property, and will also be a family light trail riding machine as well. We own three Adventure/dual sport bikes that will get more trail use than the Kodiak.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 PM

Welcome to the site from another Coloradoan.

They should check everything for you if they just pulled it out of the crate.

Sadly most problems will creep up on you over time. Read the manual and break it in properly and as you are doing so check for leaks as you go. You might have to pull the skid plates to check everything but unless you also pick up a extended warranty the factory one is only good for 6 months.

What dealer did you pick it up from? One of the members here had all kinds of problems with one over in Denver. I'd have to do some looking to see just which dealer it was. I am sure that he will chime in here.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
You might have to pull the skid plates to check everything but unless you also pick up a extended warranty the factory one is only good for 6 months.

What dealer did you pick it up from? One of the members here had all kinds of problems with one over in Denver. I'd have to do some looking to see just which dealer it was. I am sure that he will chime in here.
Thanks Jim,
I was able to find the last 2018 700 EPS (non SE) in the state at Apex in Co Springs. I don’t expect to take it to then for service unless something comes up within the first 6-12 months that may have to do with their part. I did purchase the additional 4 year Yamaha warranty so I can take it to any Yamaha dealer.

My first two choices for dealer service would be Grand Prix and Vickery, since GP is owned by an investment group that has several other well known dealers in the area that are ‘fair’ and service oriented. Also, Vickery seems to really know their stuff. G Force would probably be my third choice, but I would never waste my time talking to Coyote.

Apex seems very professional, and I wish they were closer to Denver, or Fraser where the ATV will stay most of the time.

Thanks for the welcome!

post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 AM

Change the first oil soon including the diff oils.

I did mine before 100 miles.

The rear can be very nasty from the rear brake.
Get the air filter mod done asap.
Techspark makes a great digital service manual.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 AM

I'll second the Techspark manual if you are planning on working on your Kodiak yourself. I installed it on a laptop to use and I have used it quite a bit.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 10:29 AM

what do you mean by the air filter mod??
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineboy View Post
what do you mean by the air filter mod??
There are concerns about dust getting by the stock air filter, so not exactly sure what the mod is, but one of those things that is common on stock intake for many Bike/ATV offroad models...
only thing is that with other machines I buy that have extended warrantys, the service department says that I need to keep it stock (even OEM filter) to keep warranty...

My machine will be used mainly for utility, and won’t see nearly as much Trail use, so won’t be in dusty environments much.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 PM

It leaks dust around it.

Some of the guys on here have a thread on what to do if you want to go the inexpensive path.

The following methods costs more, but are dyno proven setups.
I went with the unifilter version as the K&N doesn't flip my trigger for dusty environments.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Den

I bought my 2016 Kodiak new from Vickery Motorsports and I wouldn't hesitate to take mine there for service if it needs professional work, which is anything I don't feel comfortable doing myself.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-24-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'll second the Techspark manual if you are planning on working on your Kodiak yourself. I installed it on a laptop to use and I have used it quite a bit.
so the 700 Kodiak manual on there says only for 2016 & 17. but is should be fine for the 18 too right? I don't believe there were any changes until 2019

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page