Clutch Upgrades - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Upgrades

Had some 26 inch black water evolutions put on my kodiak when I first bought it so to make up for the bigger heavier tires, today I put a 1mm shim, 18 gram grizzly weights and an orange EPI secondary spring. They made a serious difference getting the power to the wheels, the throttle response is way better as well as the backshift, when I first bought the bike it would hardly pick up the front wheels and now it does it with very little effort from me. Over all I'm pretty happy with this setup, the install was prettt basic and it's good bang for the buck I think all in all with shipping everything cost me about $200 bucks.

Also put powermad hand guards on the other week, they look cool and serve a purpose.
Vincent likes this.
post #2 of 22 Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsa1991 View Post
Had some 26 inch black water evolutions put on my kodiak when I first bought it so to make up for the bigger heavier tires, today I put a 1mm shim, 18 gram grizzly weights and an orange EPI secondary spring. They made a serious difference getting the power to the wheels, the throttle response is way better as well as the backshift, when I first bought the bike it would hardly pick up the front wheels and now it does it with very little effort from me. Over all I'm pretty happy with this setup, the install was prettt basic and it's good bang for the buck I think all in all with shipping everything cost me about $200 bucks.

Also put powermad hand guards on the other week, they look cool and serve a purpose.
Nice, I'm planning on getting 18 gram grizzly weights, or maybe 20 gram weights when I upgrade to 26inch tires. Wasn't planning on changing the spring however.
outbackandy likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Did you do the clutch work on your own? Do you have a part number on the hand gauards you bought. I would like to order a set myself. I can't find a windshield that I like so I am going with hand gauards.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakmatt View Post
Did you do the clutch work on your own? Do you have a part number on the hand gauards you bought. I would like to order a set myself. I can't find a windshield that I like so I am going with hand gauards.
Yeah did the clutch work myself it's all pretty straight forward. Woulda been nice to have the clutch tool to hold the clutches for torquing the bolts when I reinstalled them but tight is tight imo, not sure On the part number for the handguards pretty sure they are the star series and the mounts that match them, they do the trick had to move some controls around a bit to get them to mount up nice but I'm happy with them
post #5 of 22 Old 08-20-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird_88 View Post
Nice, I'm planning on getting 18 gram grizzly weights, or maybe 20 gram weights when I upgrade to 26inch tires. Wasn't planning on changing the spring however.
The spring made the back shift smoother and it's right there if you let off the throttle and the squeeze it again. Pretty happy with it and it was easy to do.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Where did you order your parts from?
post #7 of 22 Old 07-21-2018, 01:35 AM

Curious, was your clutch noisy to begin with, and did the mods help quiet it?
post #8 of 22 Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM

I did purple epi spring, and 22gr weights ( weights and weight housing combined) ( so 20gr epi weights) with 26" big horns and very nice. I tried the orange and found rhe purple better for my set up. ( not much difference between orange and purple) . I never had luck with shims myself ( belt slippage) but glad it works for you. These bikes are awesome
post #9 of 22 Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_benny View Post
I did purple epi spring, and 22gr weights ( weights and weight housing combined) ( so 20gr epi weights) with 26" big horns and very nice. I tried the orange and found rhe purple better for my set up. ( not much difference between orange and purple) . I never had luck with shims myself ( belt slippage) but glad it works for you. These bikes are awesome
Something wrong there, you should never have major belt slippage because you installed shims . I ve racked up 4000miles using them and thousands of others have as well with Zero issues....

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 07-10-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 AM

Yeah?? I put .5 mm shim up to fixed sheave then roller sleave then primary. Washer then nut...
Must be me. Now i am paranoid..lol. did it on my kodiak 450 too in past with 26" bighorns and belt only lasted 500klms ( i just trail ride, low when big hill or slow).
Maybe i will try again. When i took 700 apart belt was glazed and shim face and roller sleave face showed signs of spinning against each other..
Sny suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page