Sudden no start, dead battery - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-27-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Sudden no start, dead battery

Want to share a story with you guys.

Went for a short ride with a buddy this week. Stopped the bike just a few hundred feet from my home. Came to start the bike back up. Wouldn't start! Nothing but relay buzz. Battery had mistiriously just died. My buddy towed me the short distance home. Get home check the battery posts, they were on solid. Check the battery with my multimeter, only showing 11.5 volts. Boost the bike with another battery, bike starts right up. Let it run with the booster battery for a minute, then disconnected it. While the bike still running I checked for voltage across my bike's battery posts. Only showing 12.3v instead of 14+ volts! Obviously the charging system isn't working. Couldn't do much more as I had to go in for a nightshift. Next day I checked all my fuses. They were good. Start looking threw my Yamaha service manual on my phone. Read the troubleshooting guides and electrical schematic for my bikes charging system. Found the voltage regulator / rectifier. Unplugged the red and black wire plug that leads to the ground and battery.
Ground tests good , and I get 12.5v battery voltage from the red wire. Motor to ground checks good as well. Unplugged the 3 white wire stator plug form the voltage regulator. Check ohms across all three stator phase wires. On spec for my 09 Grizzly is 0.108 to 0.132 ohms. I'm showing 0.4 ohms. Out of spec! Borrowed my dad's multimeter, same thing. Did some more research. Learned two other stator testing methods on YouTube. One is to check for continuity from each phase to ground. Yup all three are grounded witch is obviously bad. Start the bike check for voltage between all three phase. Should be about 20 volts on idle. Nothing, zero voltage. My stator completely fried!

New stator and gaskets on order. I have a big 6 day riding adventure coming up in less then a month, I can believe this failure happened so close to home and just in time so I could diagnos and solve the problem! Got lucky in my misfortune.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-27-2019 at 08:15 AM.
post #2 of 8 Old 04-28-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

My stator fried because a support bracket wore threw the wire covers and grounded the stator phazes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2521.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	7542  

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #3 of 8 Old 04-28-2019, 06:58 PM

Lucky it happened in close proximity to home. That's usually not the case.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Agree 100%, very lucky it happened a few hundred feet from home

post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Both stator and voltage regulator were fried. All replaced with OEM Yamaha. Pricey as ****, and I did all my own troubleshooting / labour. Took 5 hrs to change the stator. Picture says it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2569.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	7616  

Last edited by Vincent; 05-07-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 PM

Glad that you got it taken care of.

Did you have any kind of warning at all? I know that you said that it just wouldn't start after a short ride.

This is where I like my aftermarket gauge set up where I can see the charging voltage and perhaps head off a bad situation.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

No, signs what's so ever.

Yes a volt gauge would have been an excellent add on that day.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-08-2019, 12:32 PM

interesting... my 2016 just did the same thing. I was a bit shocked and assumed the battery was dead because I beat the heck out of this machine. Now, I need to go back and do some tshoot. Thanks for the post!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page