Purple or gold spring ? - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Purple or gold spring ?

I posted on grizzly central, but wanted input from kodiak owners.
17 kodiak 700- 28 inch cst wild thangs 12&10 wides will be installed on stock rims . Will be doing 1.5 shim and bought a purple spring but second guessing if I should have went with a gold spring. I will be leaving the stock rollers for now..
I am 6-3 280 lbs ,We ride lots of trails and will hit every mud hole , twice if itís a good one. So even though the wild thangs are only a few pounds heavier than zillas, I am wondering with my weight and getting in some thick mud if I should have gotten the gold spring ? But then wonder if the gold spring might be a bit much for trails . Any input greatly appreciated .
post #2 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
Following this for learning purposes . . .

I am new to Yamaha ATV's and am picking up a 2020 Kodiak tomorrow and am looking for mods/upgrades. Mine will be used for Util/Trails up new Gore Mt area so similar use to you and impact of changing things springs seems like a simple mod to do.
Rob-c likes this.

JKinPA

2020 Kodiak EPS SE Tactical Black
2012 XTZ 1200 Super Tenere
1988 Honda Fourtrax TRX300
post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-c View Post
17 kodiak 700- 28 inch cst wild thangs 12&10 wides will be installed on stock rims . Will be doing 1.5 shim and bought a purple spring but second guessing if I should have went with a gold spring. I will be leaving the stock rollers for now..
I am 6-3 280 lbs ,We ride lots of trails and will hit every mud hole , twice if itís a good one. So even though the wild thangs are only a few pounds heavier than zillas, I am wondering with my weight and getting in some thick mud if I should have gotten the gold spring ? But then wonder if the gold spring might be a bit much for trails . Any input greatly appreciated .
you should be fine with the purple with such a light tire

my 26" reptile radials are about 2lbs per tire heavier than your 28s, and I have bout 20lbs extra beer storage than you. Im running a purple spring and had 1.5mm of shims, no issues at all. i swapped the shims for machined sheave and 18gram weights now, still no issues

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires

post #4 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKodiak700 View Post
you should be fine with the purple with such a light tire

my 26" reptile radials are about 2lbs per tire heavier than your 28s, and I have bout 20lbs extra beer storage than you. Im running a purple spring and had 1.5mm of shims, no issues at all. i swapped the shims for machined sheave and 18gram weights now, still no issues
Thanks Canadiankodiak. I figured the purple would be sufficient, but was milling it over in my head. But seeing as weíre both muscular fellas thanks for the apples to apples comparison.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-c View Post
I am 6-3 280 lbs ,We ride lots of trails and will hit every mud hole , twice if it’s a good one. So even though the wild thangs are only a few pounds heavier than zillas, I am wondering with my weight and getting in some thick mud if I should have gotten the gold spring ? But then wonder if the gold spring might be a bit much for trails . Any input greatly appreciated .
1.5mm shim is a great mod! Good on you for giving it a try!

I believe the gold spring would help compensate for your heavier weights. Assentially mimicking lighter weights. Though I'm sure purple would work fine too....

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 10-30-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKodiak700 View Post
I'm running purple spring and had 1.5mm of shims, no issues at all.
Weren't your weights fallen out of their channels when you ran this set up?

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 10-30-2019 at 05:05 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Weren't your weights fallen out of their channels when you ran this set up?
Yes it was, and now with even more torque on the system with the light weights and machining, no is issues. That purple spring covers you up to about a 28" bigger or heavier, go gold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Vincent likes this.

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 06:39 PM

You really can't go wrong... Both spring will have minor advantages / disadvantages.... And both will work great. My vote is more twords gold, ONLY because your keeping the heavier stock Kodiak weights..... With Grizzly weights, purple all the way.

Last edited by Vincent; 10-30-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 08:04 PM

If you keep the Kodiak weights is the spring and 1.5mm shim a must do together? For instance what would the results be if you did just the shim alone or just the spring alone?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
If you keep the Kodiak weights is the spring and 1.5mm shim a must do together? For instance what would the results be if you did just the shim alone or just the spring alone?
You can do 1.5 mm shims, or Grizzly weights, or stiffer spring independently .... It will all work. They just work WAY better all together!!!

Last edited by Vincent; 10-30-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page