Re: Tire size and brand - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: Tire size and brand

Thinking about replacing my tires this year.

First question: Will bumping the tires up a size to 26 x 9 and 26 x 11 (from the OEM 25 x 8 and 25 x 10) cause much wear and tear? I ask this since I went up a size or two way back when on my Honda Foreman and it seemed like I was constantly replacing wheel bearings.

Second question: Anyone have any good or bad experiences with Sedonas? Thinking about one of their 8 ply tires . . .
post #2 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 PM

26x9 and 26x11 is very popular and excellent size to upgrade to on any Atv. I myself run PitBull Growlers of these size and believe they are the ideal size for the vast majority of us out there.

And no you will not cause much if any more wear and tear on the machine then using the crappy stock tires. Though a commun observation that many do observe is a bit of off the line snap or power loss when upgrading to larger and heavier tires.. Witch is a none issue as their are easy and cheap clutch mods to compensate for that.

As fare as what brands are best, that a hole other can a worms......

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-16-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 PM

I've got 27x9 and 27x11 on mine. With no issues.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I've got 27x9 and 27x11 on mine. With no issues.
If not 26" I would definitely consider 27s next.
Mite even try 10" wides all around in either 26 or 27 if I ever end up with aftermarket wheels. Then I could rotate tires every year.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-16-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Put the tires you like, and deal with the sheave ratios if needed.

The 26's I have are epic for trail riding...of course I only have the stock tires to compare.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Generally when you go to a larger tire or wheel diameter your speedometer will be inaccurate by showing slower speed and less miles traveled. I saw this first hand on my truck by going to a larger tire, it now records 9th's of a mile for every mile traveled and my gps speed shows 3-4 mph faster than my truck speedometer on the hi-way. Have you guys noticed this on your Kodiaks?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM

Anytime you go to a larger diameter tire your speedometer and odometer is going to be off. Just how much depends on the difference in tire size.

Most newer trucks since the mid 90's can be calibrated to reflect the larger tire size. Older truck need to have a different gear place into the transmission where the speedometer cable connects in. The newer trucks use electronic signals instead of a cable where they can be calibrated

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2019, 10:08 AM

What do you guy's like about the the larger tire size? What handling characteristics do you feel are due to the tire size increase vs just having a better tire and tread design? I ask because I too would like to upgrade my tires eventually and I agree that there are far better tires out there and wondering if anything is contributed to the increase in size?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-05-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
Hello,
This is my first post.
My Kodiak is less than 2 months old and I'm already looking at new tires. I'm not really dissatisfied with the stock ones but I think there's some performance increase with some of the aftermarket tires.
I load my Kodiak into the back of my Chevy Colorado and I noticed that the front tires just barely pass between the wheel wells. When I backed in the rear tires bent the wheel wells in slightly. What this means for me is that the stock tire size is probably what I have to stick with.
I'm really enjoying my Kodiak so far!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kodiak 700 View Post
Hello,
This is my first post.
My Kodiak is less than 2 months old and I'm already looking at new tires. I'm not really dissatisfied with the stock ones but I think there's some performance increase with some of the aftermarket tires.
I load my Kodiak into the back of my Chevy Colorado and I noticed that the front tires just barely pass between the wheel wells. When I backed in the rear tires bent the wheel wells in slightly. What this means for me is that the stock tire size is probably what I have to stick with.
I'm really enjoying my Kodiak so far!!!
That's sucks your limited in tire sizes cause your pick up box.

Surprisingly even with big 26 X 9, 26 X 11" PitBull Growler, 1" billet wheels spacers at all four corners and a 6" over fender wide body kit. My quad still fits in the back of my Ridgeline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0416.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	7666  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page