New tires - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 21 Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New tires

Anyone have any input on new aftermarket tires? What is everyone running and do you love them or hate them? I'm still on the fence about what new tires to get I really like the look of the STI Outback max 27x10x12 but I'm guessing I would have to get new rims as well since they are 10" wide tires all around vs the stocks are skinny fronts and wider rears. Another draw back of those tires are the weight vs stock.
post #2 of 21 Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 PM

I'm running 27" maxxis zilla's on mine. 9" on front and 11" on back. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Head and shoulders above the stockers. They are not a heavy tire and aggressive thread. I lost no power with them. I used the stock rims on my eps.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-29-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I'm running 27" maxxis zilla's on mine. 9" on front and 11" on back. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Head and shoulders above the stockers. They are not a heavy tire and aggressive thread. I lost no power with them. I used the stock rims on my eps.
I'm gonna be that guy, because it's one of my pet peeves from working in tires years ago.....

it's TREAD not THREAD.

post #4 of 21 Old 01-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKodiak700 View Post
I'm gonna be that guy, because it's one of my pet peeves from working in tires years ago.....

it's TREAD not THREAD.
Well, I'm gonna be that guy who hates auto correct on his iPad lol. Anyway, I just ripped my sleeve.....gotta go get some "tread" lol.........ya,ya....I know.......it's thread!
CanadianKodiak700 likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Well, I'm gonna be that guy who hates auto correct on his iPad lol. Anyway, I just ripped my sleeve.....gotta go get some "tread" lol.........ya,ya....I know.......it's thread!

sorry for making fun, I didn't realize you were handicapped..... to be fair you should inform people of that right away.... its not obvious right away that you're an Apple guy...... roflmao

sorry, couldn't resist . lol

btw.... i'm sure that my death will be linked to auto correct somehow someday ....lol
post #6 of 21 Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 PM

AMS Slingshots are a beast of a tire. Worth looking at. I run them on mostly rocky, hilly, technical trails with some mud medium to hard pack mostly and they go thru and up anything. Never let me down on lots of different trails.
Primethious and GreenTech like this.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 PM

AMS Slingshot XT.
I don't have but about 50' on mine so I can't say yet, but all the reviews were really excellent.
I went 1" over stock.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE AHERN View Post
AMS Slingshots are a beast of a tire. Worth looking at. I run them on mostly rocky, hilly, technical trails with some mud medium to hard pack mostly and they go thru and up anything. Never let me down on lots of different trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primethious View Post
AMS Slingshot XT.
I don't have but about 50' on mine so I can't say yet, but all the reviews were really excellent.
I went 1" over stock.
I've also read excellent reviews on the resonably priced AMS slingshots and have recommended them to others who did in fact buy the 26" versions and love them.

I've never had the pleasure to compare my PB Growlers to stockers so I'd love to hear what you guy's think of your tire upgrades.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 01-30-2019 at 01:32 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-31-2019, 02:16 PM

I run 26" forerunner maxx plus, they are described as a sort o slingshot xt knockoff.
I only have 30KM on them, but they seem great, very aggressive , they throw rocks like an 8yo boy.... seem to really paw through snow really well.

I already ant a different tire, I want the interco reptile radials. I didn't know my tire place stocks them and has a great price on them. now i need to find a buyer for my practically new tires. lol
post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I've also read excellent reviews on the resonably priced AMS slingshots and have recommended them to others who did in fact buy the 26" versions and love them.

I've never had the pleasure to compare my PB Growlers to stockers so I'd love to hear what you guy's think of your tire upgrades.
I looked into the PBG's.
They make different levels of tread depth, and they had great reviews, but the cost, especially for the really aggressive ones, was just too much for me.
The stock tires are very squishy. I'm heavy and didn't feel very stable trying to do a donut or really even turn around quickly on the rocky roads we have in the mountains. I wanted a stiffer carcass. The stock tires squished horribly when I lifted the large snow plow, but the XT's felt significantly more supportive. We may get snow here in a couple days. If we do then I'll be able to speak about how they are in the snow.
Buckmaster likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page