The Best 25" tire shootout ever! - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 03-16-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

The Best 25" tire shootout ever!

These guys have done a giant 25" tire shootout using twenty one different tire models all done on a Kodiak!
It's a multi part series.
This is the intro or first part.
You can find the other parts there afterwards.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/blog...ges-explained/

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/blog...forming-tires/
sevennine likes this.

Last edited by Primethious; 03-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.
post #2 of 13 Old 03-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Interesting results so far.

I wouldn't have looked at any of the top 8 for my machines. I'm looking forward to seeinhow the rest shake out and what they tested.

For where I ride It's steep hills, large rocks, and mostly decomposed granite. Or Snow over Decomposed granite. Mud really isn't an big issue.

While there are things I don't like about them The Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 has been my go to.

It may be time to expand my horizon.
Primethious likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Garage
Knock on wood I've had pretty good luck so far with the plain old stock tires on my Kodiak. That little bugger will go thru some stuff. The biggest downfall I've run into is the really deep wet snow.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2018, 04:42 PM

I put 27" maxxis zillas on mine. So far, so good. Light years ahead of the stock tires.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNhunter86 View Post
Knock on wood I've had pretty good luck so far with the plain old stock tires on my Kodiak. That little bugger will go thru some stuff. The biggest downfall I've run into is the really deep wet snow.
I was a little surprised they didn't use a set of stock tires as part of the test. Quite a few people have said they work pretty good, but no one seems to buy them again.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 PM

Everyone wants something better and think that they can improve on what the stock tire is. Then once they purchase another set of tires for $600+ they run them and then try to find something better again.

I run mostly on dry, rocky ground and the stock tires do quite well. Even when I have gotten into the slick clay soils while hunting they have gotten me through it with no problem. But as I said above once the stock tires are wore out I'll go to something else to see how they will do.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Everyone wants something better and think that they can improve on what the stock tire is. Then once they purchase another set of tires for $600+ they run them and then try to find something better again.

I run mostly on dry, rocky ground and the stock tires do quite well. Even when I have gotten into the slick clay soils while hunting they have gotten me through it with no problem. But as I said above once the stock tires are wore out I'll go to something else to see how they will do.
This is exactly my theory. I'm also too cheap to just swap out these perfectly good stock tires for the next newest latest and greatest go fast turn sharp mud flinging wonder tire. I'm sure I will drink the kool-aid and try out a different tire when I wear the stock out.
JimP likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 PM

I'm cheap I run the stock tire until they need replaced. I will say going from stock to the BH 2.0 was like having a different machine. While I didn't have any real complaints with the stock tire. The new ones were incredible when it came to traction and sliding around corners.

I will run the tires on my new machines until they need replaced and see what is on the market when it's time.
MNhunter86 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-21-2018, 05:21 PM

I think the decision of ditching the stock tires depends on your location and type of riding conditions. I had always kept stock until they wore out, then I moved to Alaska. I won't even consider running stock tires now after seeing the difference. Not good for my wallet but in my opinion is the single most important upgrade to the machine.
Primethious likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-22-2018, 05:12 AM

I'm pretty cheap so I tend to run the stock tires until they wear out . . . but I really dislike the stock tires that come with the Kodiak (heck, most stock tires that come with most ATVs) for the simple fact that they are most always 2-4 ply thick and I invariably end up with a plug or two (or six) in a tire (or two tires) well before the tire is worn out.

While I realize even thicker ply tires can get holed by a stick or rock, I much prefer 6-8 ply tires for the simple fact that they seem to hold up better and longer.
MonkeyBomb likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page