Stiffer rear shocks? - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 Old 03-19-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Stiffer rear shocks?

I'm looking to stiffen up the rear of my '16 700 Kodiak, it currently doesn't have the adjustable rear shocks. I've thought about buying factory adjustables off a 700 Kodiak or Grizzly or aftermarket ones and curious if the Grizzly ones will fit or if anyone has any suggestions on an inexpensive way to stiffen up the rear. Any info is greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 15 Old 03-19-2018, 11:07 PM

If your on a budget try to find some takeoff's.
As a note I adjusted the back ones at one notch below max just to get the rear suspension to have full travel, and the front ones are maxed out with a small winch on it to get full travel.

If you have the extra funds it seems like you can't beat Elka.
I have my eye on them, but the funds just aren't there...too many other projects going on right now.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Just managed to win an auction on ebay for a set of rear adjustable factory take offs from a 2016 700 Grizzly. Not sure what they go for typically but got them for $140 Cad to my door which doesn't seem too bad to me, considering i found many used that had the "buy it now" option that would have costs me more after shipping.

post #4 of 15 Old 03-20-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Some of those aftermarket ones are nice but more than i would likely ever need. I just wanted something stiffer for when my wife is with me, minimize rear squatting and me forgetting i can't clear rocks in the back i normally could, plus i find it leans more than i like when cornering at speed so hoping it helps remedy that a bit.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 PM

The way I adjust them is to keep adding until the quad or bike can't be lifted up by hand. Another words eliminating the sag in the suspension. Any more than that and the ride can get harsh unless it's really loaded down with weight.
Congrats on the great purchase. **** good deal!
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

I'll likely try to leave it fairly stiff, i do like how smooth it is over bumps at speed but i find myself wishing it was stiffer fairly often. Plus i came from an '89 trx 350 with the straight axles front and rear, so i'm fairly accustomed to rough lol.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 PM

Garage
post #8 of 15 Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 PM

Hey Guys ,Just joined the forum today,I have a question on shocks,maybe someone can help me out. I bought a set of 16 grizzly shocks for my 700 Kodiak .my shocks weren't adjustable.I got the shock but they seem 2 inches to big,I cant get thm on,I even took the sway bar off and the still won't fit.Do I have to compress them to get them to work or did I buy the wrong shocks,Thanks
post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrocknron View Post
Hey Guys ,Just joined the forum today,I have a question on shocks,maybe someone can help me out. I bought a set of 16 grizzly shocks for my 700 Kodiak .my shocks weren't adjustable.I got the shock but they seem 2 inches to big,I cant get thm on,I even took the sway bar off and the still won't fit.Do I have to compress them to get them to work or did I buy the wrong shocks,Thanks
From what I know the Grizzly is wider, longer A arms, that means probably it has longer shocks. The 2014-2015 year Grizzly was the same frame size like the 2016+ Kodiaks but not sure if shocks were the same. Just to make sure go on line and some web sites ( like partzilla ) will tell you cross fitment for a particular part.

@Gorenis got those shocks, maybe he has some comment about fitment. I was going to ask if the 2-up ride has improved, I experience the same sagging when riding with a passenger...
post #10 of 15 Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 PM

i put elka stage 4 on mine, we go pretty hard on trails. took stock set up to HMT last spring, got bucked over the bars pretty hard. went back in the fall with new elka set up. i can ride as hard as i care too now, no more getting bucked. they have some sweet deals, i paid 1200 for demo model fully guaranteed. if you're just putting around any upgrade beats stock set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page