Long walk back - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Long walk back

I'm going to tell on myself. Go ahead, get it out of your system now. All done? I was camping from my quad in the central Cascades, setting camp in a different place each night, sleeping in a hammock and eating freeze dried food. I had already set camp one afternoon, having slung my hammock and unloaded my gear, now I needed water. I have a Katydyn Hiker Pro water filter and knew where a stream crossed the trail. Having replenished my water supply I rode a little further down the trail (2-track) and saw fresh elk sign. I hopped off the quad and followed a nice trail for a ways. I decided to turn around and go back and promptly discovered I did not know which way was back. There were several trails going back in the direction I thought the quad was, but which one I knew not. Panic quickly set in as I realized I had nothing but a pocket knife and a helmet on my head. I had two navigation devices, compass, food, water, fire, everything imaginable on the quad but nothing with me. After wandering in circles I finally convinced myself I was lost. OK, not lost, temporarily turned around. I sat down. I didn't note where the sun was in relation to me when I hopped off the quad, but was fairly certain which direction was which, and what direction the road ran. Still....when all else fails, go downhill, which I did. Found a stream (probably the one I filled up at) and followed it, finally coming to another road I recognized. Took me 3 hours to get back to quad. Uphill. Guess what I'll never do again? Walk around with virtually nothing in my pockets. I have a fanny pack that I left home that I take hunting but not on these trips. That's gonna change. It has at least basic survival stuff compass, fire, space blanket, Life Straw, power bars. Oh and to top it off, had seen a bit of bear activity, stumps torn apart, tracks in the mud both large and small (cubs). I had a .........38 snub nose in my pocket. On the quad? Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Rem. Mag. loaded with 240 FMJ's. 12 guage with buck shot. Rifle (albeit in .223) Been looking for a chest rig for the .44 awhile but hadn't got one so it was tucked away on the quad. Had I ran across a cub I probably would have been best off using the .38 on myself! A sat phone is probably in my future as well.
post #2 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Den

I have just ordered a Garmin hand held GPS that will allow me to set way points from Cabela's but have not received it yet. They have it on sale for $69.99, and I think this is way cheaper than a sat phone. I plan to use it mostly for when I trail ride on the Kodiak because I can be easily turned around. Back in the early 80s shortly after my wife and I were married we came to Colorado in the summer to visit her brother who was an avid elk hunter, and while there he took us for a drive into the Rockies where he hunted and while there he hiked up a mountain to a place where he buried some hunting gear to check that no one had disturbed it. He asked if we wanted to hike up with him and we declined but after a couple minutes we decided to follow him and thought we could catch up quickly. We walked up the mountain quite a ways and saw no sign of him and thought we better get back to the truck, so we turned around to retrace our path back down but after walking a while nothing looked familiar such as large boulders that weren't there on the walk up. We got back to the road but didn't know which direction to the vehicle so we started walking to the right and were heading that direction for a time when we both heard a pistol shot behind us and figured it was Craig's 357 model 19 he carried, so we turned around and walked the other way. When we were a short distance from the truck around a curve we heard him fire another round. We asked him about firing a shot earlier and he said he didn't fire but the one shot right before we came into view. This experience spooked me and I am careful about not loosing my way, and I am getting too old and decrepid to walk long distances anymore.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have MS so walking is difficult to begin with. I have a Garmin Oregon. It was mounted on the machine. Simple matter to grab it and stuff it in my pocket. I'll not make that mistake again. I also have a Samsung TAB A 8" mounted on the machine running US TOPO Maps Pro. The detail of the maps are awesome. The Tab was 179 I believe, the program 9 bucks and then the mounting hardware from RAM. Having all that screen is NICE compared to the Garmin. But a SAT phone would be nice when if the dung ever hit the fan. I go out alone most of the time and I know it would make my wife feel better.

I grew up in Michigan, flat land. Navigating by the seat of your pants in the mountains is some what confusing.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Folks that never rode in the mountains may have a hard time relating, but sometimes you can't tell where you been, or where anything is, and the elements and the bears are very real.
I'd have a hard time walking out as I'm a overweight old fart with high blood pressure yadda yadda, but you just have to ride.
I plan on getting an offroad style GPS that allows to map out trails for posterity. How do you guys like yours?
post #5 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
I'm going to tell on myself. Go ahead, get it out of your system now. All done? I was camping from my quad in the central Cascades, setting camp in a different place each night, sleeping in a hammock and eating freeze dried food. I had already set camp one afternoon, having slung my hammock and unloaded my gear, now I needed water. I have a Katydyn Hiker Pro water filter and knew where a stream crossed the trail. Having replenished my water supply I rode a little further down the trail (2-track) and saw fresh elk sign. I hopped off the quad and followed a nice trail for a ways. I decided to turn around and go back and promptly discovered I did not know which way was back. There were several trails going back in the direction I thought the quad was, but which one I knew not. Panic quickly set in as I realized I had nothing but a pocket knife and a helmet on my head. I had two navigation devices, compass, food, water, fire, everything imaginable on the quad but nothing with me. After wandering in circles I finally convinced myself I was lost. OK, not lost, temporarily turned around. I sat down. I didn't note where the sun was in relation to me when I hopped off the quad, but was fairly certain which direction was which, and what direction the road ran. Still....when all else fails, go downhill, which I did. Found a stream (probably the one I filled up at) and followed it, finally coming to another road I recognized. Took me 3 hours to get back to quad. Uphill. Guess what I'll never do again? Walk around with virtually nothing in my pockets. I have a fanny pack that I left home that I take hunting but not on these trips. That's gonna change. It has at least basic survival stuff compass, fire, space blanket, Life Straw, power bars. Oh and to top it off, had seen a bit of bear activity, stumps torn apart, tracks in the mud both large and small (cubs). I had a .........38 snub nose in my pocket. On the quad? Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Rem. Mag. loaded with 240 FMJ's. 12 guage with buck shot. Rifle (albeit in .223) Been looking for a chest rig for the .44 awhile but hadn't got one so it was tucked away on the quad. Had I ran across a cub I probably would have been best off using the .38 on myself! A sat phone is probably in my future as well.

I hear you man. Got lost with my older brother 20 years ago. Took 4 hours before we finally hit a trail we recognized and aventually found my dad's Yamaha 350 moto 4 at the end of that trail. We rode home that evening shaken from the experience. Things like that happen fast and can happen to anyone.

Now, 20 years later I often ride fair distances from civilization alone with my Atv, boat and snowmobile. Often my issue is their simply no one else to ride with.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 07-01-2018 at 07:04 PM.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primethious View Post
Folks that never rode in the mountains may have a hard time relating, but sometimes you can't tell where you been, or where anything is, and the elements and the bears are very real.
I'd have a hard time walking out as I'm a overweight old fart with high blood pressure yadda yadda, but you just have to ride.
I plan on getting an offroad style GPS that allows to map out trails for posterity. How do you guys like yours?

Love the Oregon. It eats up batteries pretty quick when not plugged into the quad. Otherwise I usually carry several spares. LOVE the TAB setup I have although it's not waterproof.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Love the Oregon. It eats up batteries pretty quick when not plugged into the quad. Otherwise I usually carry several spares. LOVE the TAB setup I have although it's not waterproof.

The Oregon seems to do better with rechargeable batteries . . . just be sure to switch over to the rechargeable batteries in the set up as not doing so will definitely eat up the batteries quicker.
Ronbo likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 PM

It happens. I finally broke down and got a Hill people Gear chest rig for when I ride an ATV or carry a back pack. It has worked out far better than I hoped. Enough gear to get by with and I can carry a full sized pistol with ease. I don't really notice it and it doesn't bounce enough to notice even with spirited riding.
Primethious likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBomb View Post
It happens. I finally broke down and got a Hill people Gear chest rig for when I ride an ATV or carry a back pack. It has worked out far better than I hoped. Enough gear to get by with and I can carry a full sized pistol with ease. I don't really notice it and it doesn't bounce enough to notice even with spirited riding.
What pistol do you carry in it
post #10 of 27 Old 07-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
What pistol do you carry in it
I carry a Glock 22 and have a MIC holster to cover the trigger guard. I could probably carry my 44 RedHawk. I haven't tried though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page