Too cheap to buy a trunk for the Maverick, so I made one - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Just4Kixx

post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Too cheap to buy a trunk for the Maverick, so I made one

Hey all, I told you I'd make you sick of seeing my Maverick, and I meant it. As you probably expected, it was not long before I tore into it (it is in a thousand pieces in the garage right now, waiting for some electrical bits I ordered, as well as a new belt and fluids & stuff). As I said before and showed on the Kodiak I'm a "maker" of sorts - I can't bring myself to buy something I can make, and if I can't make it I'll learn how or break things trying. Before I bought this 2014 Maverick two weeks ago I was actually looking for a Commander, but the Mav was a good deal so I bought it instead. One of the things I liked about the Commander was the rear storage. The rear rack on these Mavericks might have their uses, but not for me, so I decided to build a trunk for it. Also, I'm hoping a trunk back there will help cut down on the noise inside the car.

As you can see, not gonna hold much on that rack:

First, I made up a cardboard template for the basic shape of the trunk.

Then the base was cut out. The "tail" on it was originally intended to help direct some exhaust noise down, but as you'll see in later pics I decided to make it useful:

With the base cut it was time to make some sides. I'm not a carpenter, so the angles for the cuts were sheer guesses. Worked out pretty good - these sides are just mocked up, nothing is screwed together yet:

2016 Kodiak 700 Non-EPS Camo
2" lift, 1" spacers, and 27" Zillas on stock steel wheels. Lots of other little things done, most of which I made myself because I'm too cheap to buy stuff. ***SOLD***
Now I'm rolling in a 2014 Can Am Maverick 1000R Side by Side. I loved the Yammi but injuries and age conspired against riding an ATV anymore.
post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sides screwed & glued. Time for a test fit:

Here's where I decided to make that tail functional. It will hold my emergency gas can and gives me a place to hang the license plate:

Lid made up and attached:

Here's what the tail is used for. The license plate will actually be mounted a little higher once the thing is finished:

...And today I painted it. Two rattle cans full of rubberized rocker guard, then a nice thick coat of Tremclad:
jbalsor likes this.

2016 Kodiak 700 Non-EPS Camo
2" lift, 1" spacers, and 27" Zillas on stock steel wheels. Lots of other little things done, most of which I made myself because I'm too cheap to buy stuff. ***SOLD***
Now I'm rolling in a 2014 Can Am Maverick 1000R Side by Side. I loved the Yammi but injuries and age conspired against riding an ATV anymore.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Looks good, a person should never get tired of looking at DIY projects. That is how I usually get a idea on doing something

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM

Garage
I always like the do it yourself route for mods, even if sometimes its not the cheaper alternative. It makes you feel good about your craftsman ship and it is purpose built to fit your exact needs. I too went with the home made trunk as I didn't really like what was out there in the prefab world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page