Kolpin Plow Problems - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Kolpin Plow Problems

Ok I didn't want to steal another thread so I figured I would be better to start anther thread to show what I am currently fighting with. I want to blame the Stealership that sold me the plow and set up but I also check it out when I bought it and didn't say anything then.

So I have a 2018 700, Upgraded front brush guard, Warn Winch, and had to take the cable off and put a Moose Plow Strap on due to snapping Cables like nothing. I will attach a few pics to show that the angle is horrible and straight down. I cant see how that is by design. When you go onto Kolpins sight they show out in a 45 degree angle. So it makes me wonder where the problem is.

Plow is the Kolpin High rise. The way they design it makes it hard to add a pulley forward or the hook more forward to add a better angle.

Has anybody else had this set up and how did they fix this Issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plow.png
Views:	30
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	8610   Click image for larger version

Name:	angle.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	8612   Click image for larger version

Name:	#4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	8614   Click image for larger version

Name:	maxlift.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	8616   Click image for larger version

Name:	hookup.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	8618  

2018 Kodiak 700 Hunter Edition EPS, 2005 Suzuki Eiger 400.
post #2 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 AM

I would give Kopland or your dealer a call to find out.

Most center mount plow mounts have you go from the winch down to the mount and then back up to a attachment on the front of the machine and not just directly down to the plow mount. At least that is what my old Warn did.

Even on my Warn front mount plow the cable goes from the winch to a pulley mounted on the plow mount and then up to a spot above the winch.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 01:34 PM

If that is the way it's intended, it's an extremely poor design.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh I have taken it back to the dealership and have paid money to have my winch fixed, and then new cable, then they put on the strap, don't worry I have pointed out this design and they say its not their fault or design, and no results.
I agree Nomad I hate the design if this is it, but if you look at the videos plans on koplins page they don't turn out like mine. So it has me thinking the dealership did something wrong.

post #5 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 03:13 PM

Even looking at Koplin's web site all I see is a line directly from the winch to the plow. Even looking at the pictures on their site with a plow with the power angle or whatever it is called shows the winch attaching at the point that you have yours attached.

I would call Koplin on Monday and talk to their tech support. It looks like it is a very poor design and they may be able to help. Even offer to send them your pictures of how you have the winch line connected to it.

The only way that I can see that you might be able to get a higher lift is to remove the hook on the line and or whatever else is on the line and then attach the line directly to the lift point.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 04:11 PM

Looking at the video below I think that your big problem is the Moose plow strap. The video shows a round narrower nylon cable.

You can jump to the 5 minute mark to start.

post #7 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After a little research I have figured out that Kolpin is owned by Polaris, That might explain why it doesn't work right.
Nomad and Primethious like this.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 06:53 PM
TRW

This is an unfortunate deal, but my approach would be to build a support from the cargo rack, maybe with an extension and add a pulley or roller there that can handle that strap. I also think that that could lead to a better system than most.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 07:40 PM

If you look at the video that I posted you will see that all the synthetic winch line has attached to it is the hook. Then if you look at the OP's picture of the Moose plow strap you will see that it looks like there are a couple of things attached to the end of the strap itself that are keeping the line from spooling onto the winch all the way that he needs it to in order to lift the plow as high as it is suppose to.

I do agree that it looks like a bad design. I have owned two Warn ATV plows and both of them use a pulley attached to the plow mount to allow the winch hook to attach higher than the winch itself. This also gives a slight mechanical advantage as the line passes through the pulley.

post #10 of 20 Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Since you have a Warn winch do you have the roller Fairlead that is designed specifically for plows? It has a bottom roller that is 2 to 3 times the diameter of the top roller to change the angle of the winch rope or strap for a more gradual turn down to the push tubes. If not you should change to this one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page