2019 Kodiak Winch Recommendations - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

2019 Kodiak Winch Recommendations

Hi friends. I did a search and found info on winches from a few years ago, but I imagine that there might be newer better winches out since then.

I just bought a new 2019 Kodiak 700 base model. I'd like to buy a new winch/ mounting plate and install it myself. I've got tons of tools and I'm handy around cars, atvs, etc., but I've never installed a winch before.

Which winch should I choose for this new atv? Do you recommend any particular online site where I can get a good deal on the winch and mounting plate at the same time?

I'm leaning toward Warn just because of the name recognition and positive reviews, but I'd rather buy a cheaper winch, if I can do so without sacrificing quality and longevity.

This would be a winch that I would RARELY use. It would be used only to pull the atv out if i get stuck in the mud somewhere. I will not be using it for plowing snow or anything like that.

Thank you!
post #2 of 33 Old 07-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Garage
Warn is the biggest name with the best reputation but you will pay for it.

Super winch have a good reputation as well but not quite so expensive.

SuperATV winches are a really good value with what they came with.

I have a Tractor Supply Travellers 3500 ATV winch. It was on sale so I said what the heck. So far it’s been excellent. I’ve used its twice this weekends ATV trip.

Then you have the good old harbor freight winch. Mixed reviews with that one. Some people have good luck and some don’t.

I’m sure there are some other ones I’m missing. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4857F799-995C-48EC-B6AB-A45FEA7A1A30_1563716900969.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	7846  

16 Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
Travellers 3500lb winch
Light Bar
Curt 2" hitch
UNI air filter
post #3 of 33 Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
The Champion 3000lbs winch seems to be a cheaper one that gets good reviews. I was leaning towards that one for my Kodiak.

2019 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS

post #4 of 33 Old 07-21-2019, 05:46 PM

Strongly recommend the superwinch Terra 25. One of the best values in an atv winch on the market imo.Every bit as good as a warn provantage.
post #5 of 33 Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 PM

You get what you pay for i have a 14 grizzly with original warn winch and a 18 kodiak with a warn flawless with both been plowing with grizzly for 3 winters all it has done is broke cable cant go wrong with a warn its all i will purchase for dependability but its your choice
JimP likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 PM

Yes, you certainly do get what you pay for in most cases. However, with warn you are paying a certain percentage for their name alone. I've plowed every winter since buying my machine in 2015 and used the winch to pull myself and others out of some very sticky predicaments. When I chose my winch I did a lot of homework on it. I settled on the Terra and no regrets.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-24-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiede View Post
You get what you pay for i have a 14 grizzly with original warn winch and a 18 kodiak with a warn flawless with both been plowing with grizzly for 3 winters all it has done is broke cable cant go wrong with a warn its all i will purchase for dependability but its your choice
Have you had other winches that didn't work out for you?

2019 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
post #8 of 33 Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM

I just installed the KFI Sealth 3,500lb winch with synthetic rope. I got it on eBay for $325 with the Kodiak specific mounting plate.

I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before deciding. KFI is USA made. Having just got installed it, I don't have any long term opinion.

I've heard to stay away from the Harbor Freight 2,500 and that the 3.500 is supposed to be a pretty good item.

But you can also get a KFI metal cable and not blacked out just a few more dollars than the HF.

I had to install the solenoid on the mount plate which I was not happy about, but couldn't see where to squeeze it in the battery compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KFI_SE35_Winch_Install.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	7872  
post #9 of 33 Old 07-25-2019, 01:02 PM

I have had nothing but Warn and have never had any issues with them other than a broken cable which I always replace with a synthetic rope which last forever. I had a warn 2500 on an old 2006 grizzly that was used extensively for plowing for 12 years and was drowned in the river I cross weekly on my property. I now own 2017 Kodiak 700 and a 2001 Honda Foreman Rubicon and I put a Warn VRX 3500 on the Kodiak and a Warn VRX 2500 on the Honda because they are getting the same type of abuse as the old grizzly, plowing and drowned in the river and I wanted a winch that I felt was the most water-proof form my research; and mostly experience. My river is usually 2 foot deep most of the time and sometimes deeper after rains.
Timbo and Colorado Kodiak 700 like this.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-26-2019, 09:06 AM

I just thought I'd add that the superwinch Terra has a limited lifetime warranty and all steel gears. If I sound like a fanboy, it 's because I am. I'll rocking one on the rear this fall.Someone mentioned waterproof and that is an important consideration for the Kodiak given how low the winch sits. Btw, I am also asynthetic rope convert. No more steel cable for this guy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page