Trailer Dolly - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimP

post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Trailer Dolly

The other day I needed to move a 16' car hauler trailer out of my back yard to go pick up some building supplies. I found that with the independent suspension of the Kodiak that the tong of the trailer is quite low to pull out of the yard. I used to do this all the time with my 2000 Kodiak and had no problem since it had a solid axle and didn't get the squats when I hooked up the trailer.

So here is what I came up with.

A neighbor gave me a trailer dolly that you can maneuver a trailer around in tight places without a vehicle attached to the trailer. It is a simple dolly with a set of wheels and ball that connect to the trailer hitch with a long handle that allows you to maneuver the trailer around as others push the trailer into position.

I took the dolly apart and got some spare metal that I had on hand and started to cut and weld it up. I used a piece of metal to insert into the receiver hitch and welded it to a piece of flat stock with a 45 degree angle. This will bolt to the dismantled trailer dolly. I tried it out the other day and then again today to put the trailer back to where it lives in the back yard. This works great. The weight of the trailers tong sits on the two wheels of the dolly. It is just as maneuverable as if you had it connected right to the Kodiak's ball mount.

Here are some pictures of how it came out.

Primethious likes this.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Necessity is the mother of invention( as the saying goes). Great idea.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 AM

Great job and cool idea!

post #4 of 9 Old 06-22-2018, 01:00 AM

Great idea! Is the ball interchangeable with different sizes?

Pablo

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 EPS
2006 Yamaha Bruin 350 Auto
2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Auto

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-22-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Yes it it, the dolly that I started with has a 1" hole for the ball so any ball with that size shank will fit. My neighbor originally had a 1 7/8" ball in it and I changed it to the 2" ball.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 PM

That's a really good idea. How much $$ invested?

Pablo

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 EPS
2006 Yamaha Bruin 350 Auto
2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Auto

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it again
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
That's a really good idea. How much $$ invested?
The actual dolly was given to me. I also had the metal on hand so all it really cost me was a few minutes of electricity as I welded it up.

If you actually had to purchase the dolly I have found them for $70.00 from Harbor Freight. Other on line catalogs have them for a similar price and Tractor Supply has one that will mount onto a ball on the 4 Wheeler. But I like connecting it right into the receiver better for backing it up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...lly-69898.html

The metal for it would be no more than $20 from a supplier.

If my neighbor hadn't given me the dolly I would of just kept on using my Kodiak as it was, it is just that with the dolly it puts all the tong weight on the dollies wheels instead of the back of the Kodiak. With just the Kodiak I am sure that I could pop the front end off of the ground quite easily.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM

I am thinking that rig must be fun to back up.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laval View Post
I am thinking that rig must be fun to back up.

With it attached directly to the receiver hitch on the Kodiak backing up is no different than if the trailer was connected directly to the Kodiak.

There is no extra pivot point like the ones that attach to a ball on the receiver hitch and then the trailer to the dolly which gives you two pivot points instead of just one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page