Moose RM4 or Warn Provantage front mount snow plow - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 09-01-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Moose RM4 or Warn Provantage front mount snow plow

Looking to get a front mount snow plow for my 2017 Kodiak. I will be adding the HD brush guard to it so I need one to work with it. Yamaha states that the provantage will work with the guard but I cannot find any info on the RM4. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if you could post a pic of the mount straight on and to the side. Leaning towards the moose because I like the idea of a smallish receiver in the front to possibly mount other stuff to.
post #2 of 15 Old 09-01-2017, 02:43 PM

I can't speak for the Moose plow mount but I installed the Warn Provantage on my Kodiak last month.

Warn's instructions lack a lot when it comes to installing the plow mount. Also the plow mount that bolts to the Kodiak had to be modified a little by me with a grinder to allow the stock bumper to be remounted. This only took a couple of minutes and I then repainted it and if now looks factory. Also if you go with the Provantage plow I will recommend that you also purchase the pulley mount that bolts onto the plow assembly to raise and lower the plow with your winch. The way that they have you raise and lower the plow works but the pulley system is a lot better and should come with the plow assembly.

Just as a FYI I went with the Provantage plow because of Warn's repetition and I had one on my old 2000 Kodiak. Along with being able to find a Moose RM4 plow set up. I could find bits and pieces for the Moose but not a complete kit and I never did find a mounting bracket in stock for the Kodiak. Also with the Kodiak Provantage mount there are some other accessories that you can purchase that connect into this mounting system. But it isn't a receiver type of hook up.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-02-2017, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Does the warn mounting bracket hang below the A arms any. Can you post a pic of the mods you had to make? Thanks for the response

post #4 of 15 Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 PM

The mount is about even with the winch mount. The actual mounting bracket sits under the winch mount.

The picture of what I had to grind away to get the bumper back on is a very dark but you might be able to see the notch that I cut into it. This was just so that the bumper support could fit back in where it was suppose to.

I may of got a early mounting system and they may have the problem that I had taken care of with the new kits. I do know that the kit that I purchased was left over from last year.

If you can't see the pictures too well send me a PM with a email address and I'll send them to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plowmount.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	5402   Click image for larger version

Name:	PlowmountII.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	5410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	5418  

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-02-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Looks like a good setup. Probably what I will end up with. Thanks for the pics. If only we could get someone to post the Moose RM4 mount. Perhaps it is less popular for a reason?
post #6 of 15 Old 09-02-2017, 10:09 PM

I installed the RM4 mount system last year. I have a Warn winch and Warn winch mounting plate. My Yamaha dealer has sold Moose plows forever. I was initially going to buy a Yamaha front mount plow but they had the Moose in stock and it was less $$. The parts guys seemed to favor the Moose RM4 unanimously and said they plow with the RM4 system year in and year out. Installation was OK, but I did it in a cold garage, and this is my first ATV so it was a steep learning curve for me. I will take some pictures next week and post them.

The RM4 mount is sturdy and well built. I plowed a lot of snow last season with no problems. The mount itself does not hang below the ATV. The only thing that I don't like is that the pin that holds the plow mount in the RM4 receiver is supposed to go in from above the mount but that is impossible because the winch mount is in the way. So I insert the pin from below and use a zip tie to hold it in place (through the split ring) because I don't trust that the pin will not fall out on its own. I left the plow mount in the receiver all winter.

The plow is easy to install and remove. I know nothing about Warn, Yamaha, or other plows.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-05-2017, 05:09 AM

Garage
I have the RM4 setup mainly because it was what the dealer offered. It got lots of use last winter. I installed it myself because the parts weren't in stock when I took delivery of the Kodiak. I don't know if I can post pics yet, but I'll give it a try in the near future. One additional note on the RM4 is the front plastic skid plate needs to be trimmed back. I used a Dremel with HSS router bit, plus a few trial fittings. Either way you go, get the pulley kit, it's much easier on the winch cable than a direct pull. This machine will push some serious snow even without chains.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-12-2017, 09:57 PM

Garage
Hope this works...Photos of the receiver, plow mount and pin, and plow mount installed. The receiver by itself is unobtrusive, a trait I really like. The instructions that came with it aren't bad. You'll have to loosen or remove the winch mount bolts to install the receiver which is the most difficult part of the whole deal. Also, a photo from last winter. If you get the pulley kit (highly recommended) the winch hook will attach by means of an included strap. In the photo, I have the strap wrapped around the bumper, but if you attach the strap the rack you'll be able to lift the plow higher. That's how I'll do it this year. The bolts you see on the mount limit the downward travel of the plow made necessary because the angle of the push bar tends to lift the front of the machine and also changes the angle of the plow itself. There is also a bolt on the push bar latching mechanism which, when unlatched, supports the push bar to the level of the mount, theoretically so you can drive right into the latching pins. It's not the most simple system to install, but once that's done is easy to hook up and get going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0358.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	5481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0362.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	5489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0360.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	5497   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0340.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	5505  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Hope this works...Photos of the receiver, plow mount and pin, and plow mount installed. The receiver by itself is unobtrusive, a trait I really like. The instructions that came with it aren't bad. You'll have to loosen or remove the winch mount bolts to install the receiver which is the most difficult part of the whole deal. Also, a photo from last winter. If you get the pulley kit (highly recommended) the winch hook will attach by means of an included strap. In the photo, I have the strap wrapped around the bumper, but if you attach the strap the rack you'll be able to lift the plow higher. That's how I'll do it this year. The bolts you see on the mount limit the downward travel of the plow made necessary because the angle of the push bar tends to lift the front of the machine and also changes the angle of the plow itself. There is also a bolt on the push bar latching mechanism which, when unlatched, supports the push bar to the level of the mount, theoretically so you can drive right into the latching pins. It's not the most simple system to install, but once that's done is easy to hook up and get going.

That is exactly the setup I have. I really like the pulley kit which allows me to lift the plow very high. The extra height comes in very handy when I plow with the blade angled, which is about 80% of the time for me. I put the pulley strap on the rack. I do not use chains nor would I think I would ever need them.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-17-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Well i just put the Yamaha brush guard on and it doesnt look like the Moose RM4 is compatable table. Looks like its the Warn. Thanks for the response everyone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page