Emergency Pull start - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Emergency Pull start

Has anyone been down this road?

So I have a jumper pack that I keep with me always, and it will jump the Kodiak about 30 times.. so that's good.

What happens if my starter dies? the jump pack and the strong battery are useless!!

Anyone got any good thoughts on adding a pull start to the Kodiak?

Is there a way to roll the Kodiak down a small hill and jump it in gear, or anything similar...

My friend keeps bringing this up, and I am curious what others are doing

<:: 2018 Kodiak 700 ::>
post #2 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 11:20 AM

Tow strap.

I used the pull start on my old 400 a few times and I would hate to see how hard it would be to use one on the 700.

On rolling it down a hill, take it out to a good grade and park at the top and shut the engine off and go for it and see what happens

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
im about to be experimenting with this idea.

I know you shouldn't ride alone. but I do. and a tow strap wont help that lol

post #4 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Most of my riding is by myself also and I just don't worry about it.

If the battery dies you have other problems than just the battery.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
sooo…..where I ride, has terrible phone service and it is in thick dense forest, you could be absolutely screwed if the starter went out. my machine is brand new, Im probably not gonna just leave it in the woods. so now Im surviving in the woods hoping that someone is out here in bfe…

I generally just don't care......but that could end badly.

If there were a pull start...as emergency.

post #6 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssrvlz View Post
sooo…..where I ride, has terrible phone service and it is in thick dense forest, you could be absolutely screwed if the starter went out. my machine is brand new, Im probably not gonna just leave it in the woods. so now Im surviving in the woods hoping that someone is out here in bfe…

I generally just don't care......but that could end badly.

If there were a pull start...as emergency.
If your starter fails, your alone and your stranded, Start walking !!!! Why would you stay put because your machine is new?
JimP likes this.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 10-30-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 12:44 PM

There are a lot of other things that can fail on our machines where you are just going to have to leave it where it is and get out to get help to get it out.

You would have to drag a trailer with parts to cover all the situations that you might encounter.

I also have no cell coverage where I ride and it might be a long walk out but I'd start walking and worry about me and not the machine.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the fact it if fuel injected mean a pull start is a no go?
post #9 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the fact it if fuel injected mean a pull start is a no go?
I've heard it's the primary reason why we don't have an old school pull start. But apparently if your starter fails, and your battery still has power, another machine CAN pull start you. Never did but I should try it one day....

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #10 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 01:10 PM

I had a 2006 yamaha 350 Bruin with a pull start and the one time I had to use it when the battery died it wore out 3 big guys that all struggled to pull it over fast enough to get it to fire. So in order to pull over a 700 would be impossible without a compression release. I also had a 1999 polaris 500 that was easy to pull start because it had a compression release.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page