Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum (https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/)
-   Kodiak 700 Engine & Transmission (https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/202-kodiak-700-engine-transmission/)
-   -   Emergency Pull start (https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/202-kodiak-700-engine-transmission/8412-emergency-pull-start.html)

Jssrvlz 10-30-2019 10:48 AM

Emergency Pull start

Has anyone been down this road?

So I have a jumper pack that I keep with me always, and it will jump the Kodiak about 30 times.. so that's good.

What happens if my starter dies? the jump pack and the strong battery are useless!!

Anyone got any good thoughts on adding a pull start to the Kodiak?

Is there a way to roll the Kodiak down a small hill and jump it in gear, or anything similar...

My friend keeps bringing this up, and I am curious what others are doing

JimP 10-30-2019 11:20 AM

Tow strap.

I used the pull start on my old 400 a few times and I would hate to see how hard it would be to use one on the 700.

On rolling it down a hill, take it out to a good grade and park at the top and shut the engine off and go for it and see what happens

Jssrvlz 10-30-2019 11:24 AM

im about to be experimenting with this idea.

I know you shouldn't ride alone. but I do. and a tow strap wont help that lol

JimP 10-30-2019 11:47 AM

Most of my riding is by myself also and I just don't worry about it.

If the battery dies you have other problems than just the battery.

Jssrvlz 10-30-2019 12:04 PM

sooo…..where I ride, has terrible phone service and it is in thick dense forest, you could be absolutely screwed if the starter went out. my machine is brand new, Im probably not gonna just leave it in the woods. so now Im surviving in the woods hoping that someone is out here in bfe…

I generally just don't care......but that could end badly.

If there were a pull start...as emergency.

Vincent 10-30-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jssrvlz (Post 58286)
sooo…..where I ride, has terrible phone service and it is in thick dense forest, you could be absolutely screwed if the starter went out. my machine is brand new, Im probably not gonna just leave it in the woods. so now Im surviving in the woods hoping that someone is out here in bfe…

I generally just don't care......but that could end badly.

If there were a pull start...as emergency.

If your starter fails, your alone and your stranded, Start walking !!!! Why would you stay put because your machine is new?

JimP 10-30-2019 12:44 PM

There are a lot of other things that can fail on our machines where you are just going to have to leave it where it is and get out to get help to get it out.

You would have to drag a trailer with parts to cover all the situations that you might encounter.

I also have no cell coverage where I ride and it might be a long walk out but I'd start walking and worry about me and not the machine.

Nomad 10-30-2019 12:57 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the fact it if fuel injected mean a pull start is a no go?

Vincent 10-30-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad (Post 58298)
Correct me if I am wrong but, doesn't the fact it if fuel injected mean a pull start is a no go?

I've heard it's the primary reason why we don't have an old school pull start. But apparently if your starter fails, and your battery still has power, another machine CAN pull start you. Never did but I should try it one day....

KodiakAfishyo 10-30-2019 01:10 PM

I had a 2006 yamaha 350 Bruin with a pull start and the one time I had to use it when the battery died it wore out 3 big guys that all struggled to pull it over fast enough to get it to fire. So in order to pull over a 700 would be impossible without a compression release. I also had a 1999 polaris 500 that was easy to pull start because it had a compression release.