Emergency Pull start - Page 2 - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM

A kick start would probably suffice. Worked on some pretty big motorcycles. That being said the best thing you can carry is enough emergency equipment that you can walk out if necessary.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
You could pull a wheel off and bury it under some brush while you walk out for help.... pretty sure nobody will push a three legged bike out of the woods and I'm real sure it won't roll out on it's own.
On a serious note... It you have a jumper box with built in air compressor or a hand pump, something to plug a hole, extra fuel and a handful of fuses, you are pretty much covered.
Just sayin'...

2019 Kodiak 450 4wd
2019 Rancher 420 2wd
Air Gun Enthusiast
post #13 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 02:28 PM

It is a fact that with the newer machines having a ECU that they require a minimum amount of voltage to even think of firing up. I know on a lot of diesel trucks that voltage has to be above 10 volts or so. Anything below that and forget it. I'm not sure what our ECM's require but they were designed to work on 12 volts and if you go much lower you may be in trouble..

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-30-2019, 11:50 PM
TRW

I tried to roll start my 708 going down a steep hill, and the ground was damp and even in 4x4 mode I could not get enough traction to turn over the engine and start it. I don't think the injection would stop it from starting if you can get the engine turning over. There is an answer to the question though.

Carry a spare starter and some tools!
post #15 of 24 Old 10-31-2019, 09:56 PM
TRW

JimP, I did not know that the injectors required power to fire, thanks for the info!
post #16 of 24 Old 10-31-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
JimP, I did not know that the injectors required power to fire, thanks for the info!

I haven't tore into our injectors but I believe that they are a throttle body type of injector. In other words it looks like a carburetor without the upper part.

The main thing that needs voltage is the ECM that controls everything. It has a minimum voltage requirement and without that it will not turn on. I am not sure what the voltage requirements are for the throttle body injection. I might have to dig into the repair manual and see if I can find something.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-01-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Im glad everyone has put in. Its been on my mind for a year and a half. I could understand the idea that its just tooo much to pull start it.

Possibly keep a good drill with you...and take the cover off the cvt and crank that 22mm over? Hmm.

Our injecters have a fuel rail, and they need that 12v to Fire constantly.

Its just food for thought.

Or carry a starter in the toolbox.

I for sure need to add some fuses aswell. Im glad that was brought up

<:: 2018 Kodiak 700 Base ::>
post #18 of 24 Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
I had a 2006 yamaha 350 Bruin with a pull start and the one time I had to use it when the battery died it wore out 3 big guys that all struggled to pull it over fast enough to get it to fire. So in order to pull over a 700 would be impossible without a compression release. I also had a 1999 polaris 500 that was easy to pull start because it had a compression release.
All our motors 558, 686, 708 etc... are equipped with decompressors...

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 11-01-2019 at 08:11 AM.
post #19 of 24 Old 11-01-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
All our motors 558, 686, 708 etc... are equipped with decompressors...
Good to know, I did not know that.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 PM
TRW

Vincent, is there a way to engage the decompression? My 91 Honda 4Trax 300 has a back up kick starter, and it has a decompression lever on the head that does make it much easier to kick and start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page