Engine block/oil heater - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Engine block/oil heater

Does anyone have any experience with installing or uses a block heater/oil warmer on their rig? If so any brands/suggestions would be appreciated! I have to have mine parked outside in a unheated shed for the winter and I use it for snow plowing weekly. Temps at night are typically -15 to -30 for most of the winter. I figured it would help with firing it up and wear and tear on it with such cold starts. I know they don't have a plug knock out to put one in like a truck, but I figured someone in the forum has used something. Thanks!
post #2 of 45 Old 10-02-2019, 12:44 AM

I would seriously consider synthetic oil in your situation. Also, there are plug in heating pads that stick to the oil pan.
post #3 of 45 Old 10-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I would seriously consider synthetic oil in your situation. Also, there are plug in heating pads that stick to the oil pan.

Heater pad on the oil pan would be a great idea.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

post #4 of 45 Old 10-02-2019, 10:05 AM

They make a circulating heater that installs in your rad hose
Primethious likes this.
post #5 of 45 Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Amsoil makes a synthetic ATV oil that is 0W-40 that would be great in your application.
post #6 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 12:24 AM
TRW

Laval, have you got any more info on that Circulating heater? What I have have done on those cold nights is put an electric heater in front of my Kodiak and put a tarp over the entire thing. In two hours it does warm up, even below 0. I do this just to ease the stress on the engine. This is a good question and I will be watching for good options.
post #7 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 AM

I will check with my dealer and get back. I know they are available as one of my customers was showing me the one he has on his polaris. Availability may be greater in Canada due to our winter temps.
post #8 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Just checked Amazon for lower rad hose heaters which is what I was talking about earlier. Available for 1”,1.5”,1.75” hoses. Priced under $50.
post #9 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM

Stopped at my dealer and asked about heaters. The in line hose heaters are what they install and they claim they work well. $59 at the dealer.
Primethious likes this.
post #10 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 PM

If you do install a heater get a timer that is rated to handle the wattage of the heater. And then have it come on a hour or so before you are going to use the bike, or just hook it up for a hour or so befor you go and start it. If not and you just leave it plugged in your power bill will show it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page