Coolant leak - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimP

post #1 of 10 Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Coolant leak

Anyone else have trouble with coolant disappearing? My reservoir was low yesterday and I topped it up. Today after light riding I checked it again and it is pretty well empty. No obvious leaks. Bike runs hotter than I would like - 197 to 207. 2020 eps model with 65 miles on it. Afraid it needs a trip to the dealer hour and a half away dammit.
post #2 of 10 Old 09-15-2019, 11:00 PM

With only 65 miles on it I would guess that the dealer didn't do the dealer prep job completely and it was and is just filling all the lines and radiator.

As to how hot it is running that is the normal operating temperature. I have a actual coolant temperature gauge on mine and can watch it running in the same range. It will get up to around 206 and then the thermostat will open and it will quickly drop down to the 195 range

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Laval likes this.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
With only 65 miles on it I would guess that the dealer didn't do the dealer prep job completely and it was and is just filling all the lines and radiator.

As to how hot it is running that is the normal operating temperature. I have a actual coolant temperature gauge on mine and can watch it running in the same range. It will get up to around 206 and then the thermostat will open and it will quickly drop down to the 195 range

Hope you're right. Also found a small bolt on top of my skid plate that I haven't found a home for and my exhaust rattles. A heat shield is touching a frame member. I can fix it but I am less than impressed with the dealer prep so far.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 PM

There are a number of members here that don't put their dealer prep work very high.

I would just keep the recovery tank full and watch it carefully. But if you don't see any visible leaks or signs of coolant in the oil like milly oil you should be alright.

I would even perhaps do a real good inspection of the engine area and other spots that they might not of check out.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
I somehow got lucky with my dealer. They had just pulled mine out of the crate...and i guess they looked it over. Because ive not had the first problem.

Id hope they just didnt get the lines completely filled.

<:: 2018 Kodiak 700 ::>
post #6 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 PM
TRW

Coolant is a bit fickle and sometimes takes time to get the air out of all the nooks of the engine. Like JimP says, no visible leaks and no milky oil, add some coolant and see what happens the next 10 miles. Also if it is leaking as steam, you can smell and actually taste the coolant in the air, so if you don't notice it, that is a good thing. Good luck!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-20-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

That must have been it as the coolant seems to have stabilized.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2019, 10:49 PM
TRW

The heat shield on the exhaust system is a snug fit on the left side of machine, if that seems to be making noise occasionally, you can get in there and put some leverage on the shield to move it away from vibrating on the frame. It is trial and error.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks I found the heat shield making the noise and bent it a bit. Problem solved.
post #10 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
TRW

Good job! This is one more of those quality control things, that good assembly line workmanship would prevent. In the old days, any Yamaha leaving the factory did not have these issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page