2016 kodiak eps se dies on start after custom exhaust tip - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

2016 kodiak eps se dies on start after custom exhaust tip

Yesterday I made my self up a tip for the exhaust, it sounds great but noticed that on start up it will run for a couple second them die, start it back up and it's fine. Also if you gun it from a stop it almost stalls out and back fires, but can ease into the throttle until wide open and it's okay just cannot go wide open from a stop anymore, I'm assuming this is all because of the tip? Done alot of reading and from what I gathered a fuel programmer wasnt needed for just a tip on the exhaust but I think I may need one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-2057721251_1567473901381.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	8038  
post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 09:41 PM
TRW

I can tell you on a motorcycle, you can have dramatic results on how things run with exhaust modifications, that is all I know. Good luck, and it will be fun to learn what solves the issue.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I know that if you change the muffler on them that a programmer is needed or if you do tip and air box mods you need a programmer, but lots of guys say they havent had any issuse with just putting a tip on. I may run it for a bit see if things get better if not ill put the factory tip back on and run it and if it keeps doing it I'm lost haha.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 03:40 AM

You'll definitely need a programmer as your leaning out an already very lean running engine.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Garage
That makes sense to me. More airflow should need more fuel too.

Is there a thread on fuel programmers? What are the dependable brands and the ones to stay away from? What are the pros and cons of having one? If we don't have a thread yet I can start one instead of hijacking Kyerin's thread.

2019 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kodiak 700 View Post
That makes sense to me. More airflow should need more fuel too.

Is there a thread on fuel programmers? What are the dependable brands and the ones to stay away from? What are the pros and cons of having one? If we don't have a thread yet I can start one instead of hijacking Kyerin's thread.
All that info is on Grizzlycentral.com
But yes starting a thread here would be an excellent idea. This forum is still in its infancy and needs ad much knowledge shared as possible.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #7 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

I've done quite a bit of reading on the grizzly forums and lots of guys reccomend the ehs racing controller. But took the bike for a little ride today and pulled the yard trailer around a bit and it seemed to be fine wasnt running any hotter than usual and wasnt staling out after starting or with wot.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna end up getting a programmer anyways, I'm in canada and bit harder to find a programmer but royal disturbing has the dobeck ejk I may try out, just for the fact that I dont have to pay shipping, border fees and instead of 300usd "which is almost 600cad" its 300cad so unless I can find a ehs programmer in canada I'm gonna go for the dobeck.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Ya hear ya, all us Canadians always face that same problems......

post #10 of 12 Old 09-15-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Well it's starting better now I reworked my tip made it more restrictive for more back pressure, but now if I go through water it will die and not want to start, made a snorkel kit last night just for the air box and it seemed to help a bit but it still will spit and sputter a bit after going through some water, I'm thinking coil pack?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page