Help: Oil Leak - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Help: Oil Leak

Hey guys, looking for advice. I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS. only has 210 miles on it. I noticed what looks like gear oil leaking from above the front right tire. It seems to be coming from under the headlight area. maybe around the air box?? the air filter is clean and there is no oil standing the box. My coolant and brake fluid reservoirs are full so I don't think it's either of those. Once you ride it for a few minutes it's a constant drip. it's running down the brake line and A arm. Any ideas??
post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 12:51 PM

It isn't a gear oil leak. And the air box is under the seat.

Check the brake fluid. Other than that you need to clean it up and start watching it to see where it is coming from

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

The brake fluid is full. The leak is under the headlight area but in front of where the air box is located.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 02:05 PM

You are still going to need to clean it up and watch it to see if you can find where it is coming from.

The only liquid that I know of in that area is coolant.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Any chance your diff is overheating access fluid is expanding up the vent tube wave dripping out?

This happened on my buddies brute, we were 2up, hungover, and veggie he got too sick, we switched places on the bike, I didn't know he but engaged the park brake, had never driven his bike before, so didn't notice any lack of power. 10 min later oil was spraying on my arm.... Tok a while to figure out what happened.... Rear oil bathed brakes over heated three oil, forcing it up the vent

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #6 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Actually Yamahas are known for the rear diffs to blow out excessive oil out there vent tube witch is located up around your lower handle bar area. Even if you didn't over fill it. Mine does it every time I've changed the rear diff fluid. Commun complaint actually. It usually stops after some mileage is accumulated on the new fluid.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 08-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 10:05 PM
TRW

Have you checked your engine oil? I have no idea, but it could be possible that you sprung a leak somewhere and it could be spraying in the direction of our tire. It is kind of easy to isolate the feel and smell of what it is, just do a little research.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 PM

I have never seen them blow oil out of the vent tube but I can see how they could if it was over filled, but I have never had that problem

post #9 of 12 Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 AM

I agree with Vincent & CanadianKodiak700, The area you described is where the Differential breather tubes end up. They are the 2 hoses that make a bend back downwards into the top cover that is your top storage compartment, they are right on top after you take the hood off under the front rack. Look at the end of the hoses, if they are wet thats where your oil is coming from and one of your differentials is probably over filled creating to much pressure. After filling mine if I have this issue I just remove the fill plug again (with everything at room temp not hot) and let it drain until it stops. If you still have oil coming out from it after that then you have another issue with pressure in that differential. I never did figure out this problem on my old 2006 350 yamaha Bruin's rear Diff. I fixed it by adding a Tee in the breather hose and adding a second hose to the system, BAM no more oil being forced out and up the breather hose. Good Luck.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Garage
This thread is full of good information. You guys are awesome!

2019 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page