Diff-lock engagement Engine sputters? - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Diff-lock engagement Engine sputters?

I have a 2017 Kodiak 700 with only 480 miles on it. I bought it last fall with only 300 miles on it. When putting it into Diff-lock the engine runs ruff and sputters when I put it into gear and after I start giving it some gas. If I then stop and move into reverse backup about a foot it's fine, even when I go back into forward High or Low. Regular 4X4 is fine, no issues. Anyone else have this symptom or know why this is?
post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2019, 06:28 PM

I don't see how there would be a relationship between the two unless there is a programing issue with the speed limiter that I believe that they have on models with the diff lock.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

That's a good thought; the next time I use diff-lock and it does it I will try pushing the override button for the speed limiter and see if that has any effect.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Is the diff lock light flashing when it sputters?

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

So after reading the replies I took the Kodiak out tonight to try a few things and pay closer attention to what was going on because the only time I have used diff-lock is snowplowing on ice going up hill. And what I have determined is this is normal. Yes the diff-lock light is flashing and continues to flash until I move forward or back 6-10 feet then the light stops flashing and the eng stops sputtering because now that I have moved a little the hubs have engaged. It seems to be a safety feature to prevent you from going to fast before the hubs are locked in. Similar to the limiter not allowing you you to go over 20mph without holding the override button in. The override button has no affect at this speed either. Thanks guys for the suggestions that got me thinking.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 PM

I was riding through some deep snow yesterday, it was the most I've ever used the diff-lock before. I was worried when the engine started "jerking" when hitting speeds over 30km/h. I didn't know the speed limiter worked differently in diff-lock mode. I thought it was just having issues engaging which it did a bit since I couldn't roll the bike forward or backward due to it sinking in the snow. I was glad to find out that this is normal behavior if you are not pressing down the override switch.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlzone View Post
I was riding through some deep snow yesterday, it was the most I've ever used the diff-lock before. I was worried when the engine started "jerking" when hitting speeds over 30km/h. I didn't know the speed limiter worked differently in diff-lock mode. I thought it was just having issues engaging which it did a bit since I couldn't roll the bike forward or backward due to it sinking in the snow. I was glad to find out that this is normal behavior if you are not pressing down the override switch.
Yup, perfectly normal. I myself got surprised when my engine started sputtering in diff lock at 30 km/h before I reminded myself to press the freaken override button!

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-15-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 PM

What override button?

Sputtering right after you switch the diff lock on is normal. You have to give it time and circumstances to lock in all the way otherwise the computer puts the speed limit at about 0.1 miles an hour.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 11:30 PM
TRW

I have an 18 Kodiak 700 and now at 160 miles, the differential lock is much faster to engage, and disengage. But it was a struggle until now.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primethious View Post
What override button?

Sputtering right after you switch the diff lock on is normal. You have to give it time and circumstances to lock in all the way otherwise the computer puts the speed limit at about 0.1 miles an hour.
I'm assuming your Kodiak does not have this diff-lock 20 mph speed limiter override button? All Grizzlys from 2002 to 2019 have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch-1555499220755.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	7526  

Last edited by Vincent; 04-17-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page