2017 kodiak water pump impellar shaft keeps breaking - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

2017 kodiak water pump impellar shaft keeps breaking

Has anyone had any issues with the water pump impeller shaft breaking. My 2017 Kodiak 700 has been in the shop for 5 weeks.I took it in for a starting issue. Turns out it needed a new starter. while in the shop it started over heating,The impeller shaft on the water pump broke, they replaced the impeller shaft. It broke again after only a few minutes. replaced the bearings and seals and new shaft again and two minutes of running it broke again. Yamaha says they have never heard of this issue and they do not know what to do to fix it. I dont have the extended warranty , when I bought the machine the dealer was offering free wench or extended warranty and said to take the wench these machine never give us trouble, Boy was he wrong. I guess I paid 8 Grand for 17 months of riding.
post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Have they replace the impeller shaft yet?

I haven't heard of this problem and if it is breaking the impeller then something has to be bent or it isn't being seated properly. Can't they tell what it is hitting to cause it to break?

Have you been able to look at the housing to see if it is rubbing on it?

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I have not seen it, I took back to the dealer for repairs,and they can,t get it fixed. They have ordered two water pumps today so that,s the next step.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 06:52 PM

My big question would be how did it get broken in the first place. It if was running fine except for a starting problem when you took it into them how did the water pump get involved in it?

But then a person that didn't know what they were doing could of removed the pump housing and did not get it back on right and if he is the same one that is now trying to fix the pump problem who knows.

Also from what I have seen on parts list the water pump does not come as a assembly but in all the pieces for it. Each part sold individually.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I have asked myself that same question , but I am not sure what is involved in changing the starter. Not sure if you have to take anything off pertaining to the water pump. Maybe someone on this forum knows what is involved in changing the starter.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 PM

There is a possibility that they had to get to the starter clutch where they would of had to remove the water pump and magneto cover.

That could of been the start of the problems with the water pump impeller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page