Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum (https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/)
-   Kodiak 700 Engine & Transmission (https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/202-kodiak-700-engine-transmission/)
-   -   Buying a new Machine! (https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/202-kodiak-700-engine-transmission/7778-buying-new-machine.html)

TRW 10-06-2018 11:24 PM

Buying a new Machine!

Here are some questions:

What are the positive points to the 700 verses a smaller Kodiak?

Should my new ATV be a Yamaha?

Should I get an 18 rather than a 19, there seem to be a bunch of 18s around.

Anyone want to offer some of your own perspective, that would be great.

Primethious 10-06-2018 11:53 PM

A 2018 is a great machine, and that setup was made for three years.

A 2019 is new therefore unproven to some extent.

May be great, may not be especially in a first year scenario.

Big or small you can't go wrong with Yamaha.

The 700 works great on trails and doesn't feel too big, oh yea and has plenty of power.

When I looked into a new quad it was about getting the most reliable brand and model I could find.
Quad transmissions were a big concern being belt drive, but Yamaha's belt doesn't slip like other brands so it reacts quicker and lasts much longer.

Having electric power steering is just wonderful.

I've used the diff lock every opportunity I need it.

That little feature turns the thing into a mountain goat!

Vincent 10-07-2018 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primethious (Post 52406)
A 2018 is a great machine, and that setup was made for three years.

A 2019 is new therefore unproven to some extent.

May be great, may not be especially in a first year scenario.

Big or small you can't go wrong with Yamaha.

The 700 works great on trails and doesn't feel too big, oh yea and has plenty of power.

When I looked into a new quad it was about getting the most reliable brand and model I could find.
Quad transmissions were a big concern being belt drive, but Yamaha's belt doesn't slip like other brands so it reacts quicker and lasts much longer.

Having electric power steering is just wonderful.

I've used the diff lock every opportunity I need it.

That little feature turns the thing into a mountain goat!

Well said!

TRW 10-07-2018 11:51 PM

So I have a new question! Should I buy an extended warranty? It only comes with a 6 month, they can't be too confident if they cant stand behind it for a while. I know this is not new, but I am not a gambler. If I do buy the extra warranty, is the price negotiable or not?

[email protected] 10-08-2018 10:04 AM

I think you can do it for various lengths of time. If it's piece of mind your looking for then get the minimum. I think you can always extend it longer as long as it's still under warranty. I think🤔

TRW 10-09-2018 10:22 PM

Thanks. I am being told that the extended warranty is selling for about 1/2 price at this time as a sales promo.

Den 10-10-2018 10:17 AM

I don't really know much about the new 19 year model, but when I was looking for a new machine in 16 a couple of service techs in the shops that sold different brands told me in a hushed voice to go with yamaha. I guess they didn't want listening ears to hear them dis some other brand. Both told me the yamaha wouldn't go through drive belts and also that the metals used in the yamahas were harder even down to the bolts. I don't use my 700 a lot but haven't had a single issue with it, but other than the air filter conversion mine is still the same as when I bought it new. I have a friend that owns an older carburated polaris and he swears by his machine, so I guess it just comes down to what you think will work for you. I went with the Kodiak because it fit me better for seating position and my old wore out back needs all the relief I can give it. I sat on every machine I could think of except Can AM and the Kodiak was the most comfortable with the honda being absolutely horrible for me, plus the honda has a manual transmission.

MD_Kodi_700 10-10-2018 10:35 AM

I went with the Kodiak 700 as well. Fit my wife better and she says the Kodiak didn't feel like a big blocky machine when she sat on it.. Handles well and has plenty of power...

Firefighterjake 10-10-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRW (Post 52404)
Here are some questions:

What are the positive points to the 700 verses a smaller Kodiak? Honestly . . . for most folks I suspect a 400-500 cc machine is fine for most uses, especially if someone is using it for light work or trail riding. I went from a Honda Foreman450 (although the actual engine was something like 420cc) and it did most everything I needed perfectly fine (i.e. haul firewood, plow the driveway, trail ride, etc.), but to be frank I wanted just a little more power and speed (not that I often use it . . . but being a typical guy one always wants "moar pow-ah".

Should my new ATV be a Yamaha? It' really up to you. I'm probably the wrong guy to ask since I'm 48 and have only owned three ATVs -- a Honda TRX300, the aforementioned Foreman 450S and now the Kodiak 700. I find that most ATVs have stepped up things pretty well in terms of reliability and features, but there are still some differences and it's all on what you most value. For example, Hondas have always been and will most likely always will be near bullet proof when it comes to reliability . . . the trade off being they're expensive, they don't tend to have a lot of big power machines (well one . . . and that one is geared more for trail riding) and they either don't have as many features as other makes and models or you can get those features at a premium price. I find Polaris ATVs to be a bargain in terms of price when coupled with features and their ride is highly regarded . . . but I also see more folks have break downs with Polaris ATVs. I could go on . . . but I think you get the idea. I went with Yamaha since they had exactly what I wanted -- a larger engine ATV with the features I wanted (IRS, power steering, automatic), an ATV geared expressly for work and play (I use my ATV for work as much as I do for play) and at a price that was quite attractive . . . AND most folks (users and experts) rate Yamahas highly when it comes to reliability.

Should I get an 18 rather than a 19, there seem to be a bunch of 18s around. If you're in no rush and not picky you may be able to get a hold over at a good deal. I waited for a bit, priced what I wanted at the various dealerships in the State and was able to get a new hold-over at a good price (the bonus being it was in a color I liked and came with alloy wheels). The drawback was it was an older model and at the time it meant it did not come with the push button locking differential . . . which to me was not something I have needed in the past . . . others find a locking diff to be essential . . . it comes down to what you want and/or need.

Anyone want to offer some of your own perspective, that would be great.

Waiting may also net you a better warranty . . . mine came with a two year warranty which I could extend an additional year if I opted to not go with the winch.

CanadianKodiak700 10-11-2018 02:09 PM

I just picked up a 2018 700 eps se 2 days ago. great deals on remaining 2018 bikes. my dealer only had 3 2018 700 Kodiaks left, one eps in camo and 2 eps se in tactical black.

the 2019 is going back to the 686 sohc engine built by Yamaha. I wouldn't call it unproven, its just a refined version of their old 686 that they used before contracting Subaru to build the 708cc while their manufacturing plant was being rebuilt after the 2011 tsunami that damaged a large part of it and slowed production almost to a halt.

you wont go wrong with a 450 or 700, both are great and dependable.
i just came from a 2002 450 honda, the only other really dependable brand, and this 700 is insanely more powerful.
The Yamaha rides so smooth, acceleration is fast and smooth. the oil bathed brakes are so nice, just knowing that no matter what slop i drive throug, i'll still have rear brakes. i didnt have that with drums on the old honda...tranny was the brakes most of the time on that.