Lubrication - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Lubrication

So I just had my Kodiak 700 EPS in for its first service at 10 hours. I asked the service technician if they used synthetic oil in the engine and transmission, where I quickly got the standard 'we recommend Yamaha...' so I never really got an honest answer.

I'm planning to switch everything over to Amsoil products once the warranty runs out. Just wondering what other people are doing for lubrication... standard Yamaha? Synthetic? or something different?

Pablo

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
2018 Yamaha Kodiak 450 EPS
2006 Yamaha Bruin 350 Auto
2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400 Auto

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 37 Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 PM

I had my first service done a few months ago, and they used the Yamalube. Seems fine to me. Hasn't burned a drop. I'll probably stick with it since I plan on changing the oil more often than needed. Lots of folks say to complete your break in thoroughly before switching to synthetic. I also had them change the diff. fluids also.
post #3 of 37 Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 PM

Right now I am using Valvoline 10w40 conventional oil for the engine and Valvoline 75w90 Synthetic for both the front end rear ends.

On the rear end you need to make sure that the oil is GL-4 rated which most synthetics are. It has the friction modifiers in the oil for the wet brake that it needs.

What ever oil you use make sure that it meets Yamaha's specifications which can be found in the owners manual. I also plan on doing yearly changes on all the oils.
rancherMike likes this.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 37 Old 07-15-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of changing the oil, the dealer recommended changing the oil every 50 hours, what are you doing?

Pablo

post #5 of 37 Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 AM

I'll run the oil for a year and then change it. That is the way that I did it on my other ATV's and I really don't see a need to change.

If you really want to know just when to change the oil you need to get it analyzed to see what the additives in it are doing.

I have been using Blackstone Labs for my diesel truck and a gas Explorer. I might send them a oil sample next year when I change it on my Kodiak.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
post #6 of 37 Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 PM

Shell rotella T6 5w40 synthetic.
Madmax likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM

I use Amsoil on my street bike, but on the Kodiak I'm using Yamaha oils and greases.
The rear axle gets dirty very fast with the brake inside the oil so I plan on changing it twice as often as the front diff.
The primary sheave needs two separate greases(light and dark), and the secondary sheave only needs the dark one.
rancherMike likes this.
post #8 of 37 Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primethious View Post
I use Amsoil on my street bike, but on the Kodiak I'm using Yamaha oils and greases.
The rear axle gets dirty very fast with the brake inside the oil so I plan on changing it twice as often as the front diff.
The primary sheave needs two separate greases(light and dark), and the secondary sheave only needs the dark one.
That makes my brain hurt just thinking about it! Think I'll stick with the Yamaha lubes for now since both wheelers are still in the break in period. Dealer changed engine and diffs at first service (10 hours), then recommended engine only at 50 hours, and engine and diffs at 100 hours. Does that match pretty close to what you're doing?

Pablo

post #9 of 37 Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 AM

I did the first change at about 80 miles. I'm just over 100 now so it will be a little while...probably when I hit 200 for the next one.
I didn't see grease fittings the the first time so I need to go under there and see if I can give them a shot of grease.
post #10 of 37 Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primethious View Post
I did the first change at about 80 miles. I'm just over 100 now so it will be a little while...probably when I hit 200 for the next one.
I didn't see grease fittings the the first time so I need to go under there and see if I can give them a shot of grease.
there's four fittings in the rear. I had to replace with 45 degree zerks because I was unable to get a grease gun to attached otherwise. That was my experience anyways.
Primethious and rancherMike like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in