What do you wear? - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What do you wear?

I've been fine tuning my clothing choices for summer riding and I wonder what other people like to wear.

I like long sleeves and pants to keep the sun off. Motocross jersey's seem to be the best shirt. They're very breathable.

For boots I found some tactical waterproof boots that I like.

Pants are the ones I haven't found the right option yet. Jeans work fine but aren't waterproof. I have some waterproof pants which are thin and breathable but they offer little protection against the heat of the motor. I'm debating on getting some motocross pants, which have leather patches on the inner knee for heat protection but I'm not sure if I'll look foolish wearing motocross pants.

I also have a tubular neck gator which can be pulled up over the face in dusty situations.

So, what clothes do you guys like to wear?

2019 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
post #2 of 19 Old 07-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Garage
I wear a t-shirt
Compression shorts (Its so dang humid and nasty here)
Columbia or Outdoor Research hiking pants (nylon material). They are light weight and dry out fast.
Merrell mqm mid waterproof hiking boots.

Fox Gloves
Just Picked up a new FOX V1 helmet
Fly goggles

After I doubled up on reflective tape on the inside of the plastics and deleted the AIS heat hasn't been an issue for me.

16 Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
Travellers 3500lb winch
Light Bar
Curt 2" hitch
UNI air filter
EPI 18g Clutch weights

Last edited by XeroSasEnchros; 07-16-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: cant say d a m n. lol
post #3 of 19 Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Usually what ever I have on when I want to go riding.

Now if I plan on a ride I'll usually just wear a long sleeve shirt, jeans, and boots. Depending on the weather I might throw a heaver jacket or coat onto the racks. I always carry rain gear with me on the wheeler.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-16-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to have to look into putting more heat reflective tape on mine.

Speaking of rain gear. My buddy and I got caught in an afternoon downpour and the temps got down to 45F. It took about an hour to get back to the trucks and I was as cold as I can remember ever being. It took two days to feel warm again. If we didn't have rain jackets and helmets on we might've been in danger of getting hypothermia. Rain gear is a must have!!!
XeroSasEnchros likes this.

post #5 of 19 Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kodiak 700 View Post
I'm going to have to look into putting more heat reflective tape on mine.

Speaking of rain gear. My buddy and I got caught in an afternoon downpour and the temps got down to 45F. It took about an hour to get back to the trucks and I was as cold as I can remember ever being. It took two days to feel warm again. If we didn't have rain jackets and helmets on we might've been in danger of getting hypothermia. Rain gear is a must have!!!

some will laugh at your comment , but in reality , it's a real possibly to go into hypothermic shock in mid summer if the body cools to rapidly.

ingest too much ice water too fast on a hot day can do it

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #6 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 12:46 AM

light, breathable and waterproof....pretty much anything meeting those criteria.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKodiak700 View Post
some will laugh at your comment , but in reality , it's a real possibly to go into hypothermic shock in mid summer if the body cools to rapidly.

ingest too much ice water too fast on a hot day can do it

Nobody that was in it would've been laughing. I'm sure people have survived colder experiences but being soaking wet in 45 degree temperatures was really cold and my point was that if my core and head had been soaked too it would've been much worse.

From the weather channel

Any water temperature below 70 degrees should be treated with caution for those not wearing a wetsuit or drysuit, the National Center for Cold Water Safety warns. When water temperatures are between 60 and 70 degrees it becomes progressively more difficult to control your breathing.

It becomes very dangerous in water temperatures between 50 and 60 degrees. You lose the ability to control breathing in this temperature range, according to the National Center for Cold Water Safety. Below 40 degrees water feels painfully cold and clear thinking becomes almost impossible, in addition to being unable to control gasping and hyperventilation.

post #8 of 19 Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 AM

I wear a t-shirt, motocross pants, TCX Baja boots, Fly Racing Trekker helmet, HF gloves...

2019 Kodiak 700 EPS SE
26" Maxxis Zilla's / Warn VRx Winch / Light Bar
UNI air filter / Strong Made Front & Rear Baskets
JBS 18g Clutch weights / 1 1/2" HDM Spacers
post #9 of 19 Old 08-24-2019, 12:08 AM

Garage
Usually a t-shirt, 5.11 pants, rubber boots. Always have a sweatshirt, gloves and rain gear stored in the rear box.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Blue Jeans, long sleeve Tee, and a hoody shoved in the storage box. I protect my noggin with a 509 Altitude. Winter time I just toss on my Snowmobile gear, most of which says Yamaha on it......... Then again I'm usually on the Viper XTX in the winter.

19' Blue Kodiak SE

-Rox Riser/handlebar combo
-Reptile Radial 27x9/27x11 on stock SE wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page