Yamaha snowmobiles - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kodiakmatt
  • 1 Post By MNhunter86

post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha snowmobiles

Anyone else on the form own a Yamaha snowmobile? I always ski-doo and thought that's all I would ever ride. I had a change of heart and decided to try a Yamaha.. I bought a RS Vector LTX EPS last week. I put 70 miles on it the day I picked it up and love it! Should have changed brands long ago.
outbackandy likes this.
post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
I wish we had snow to even ride! Here in Minnesota we don't get winters anymore we get some cold but we have had crappy snowfall for the last like 5 years. Pretty much have to go up along superior to get decent snow. I've always been a Polaris snowmobile rider but Ive ridden my friends Yamaha Apex and that thing is a beast super comfortable and ride and power are awesome but don't get that bugger stuck.
outbackandy likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Garage
We're in the same boat as MNhunter here in Nova Scotia - just not enough snow anymore to justify owning a sled. I always loved snowmobiling and had a really nice Yamaha Vmax 600 (I've also owned several Ski Doo, Arctic Cat, and Ski Roule machines). I loved the VMax but only got to ride once or twice a year because of a lack of snow. Case in point: It is the second of January and the ground is bare. They are calling for a big storm Thursday but it'll most likely be rain. I got out of sleds because I'd rather have a machine that I can't ride one month of the year than a machine I can't ride 11 (or more)...

2016 Kodiak 700 Non-EPS Camo
2" lift, 1" spacers, and 27" Zillas on stock steel wheels. Lots of other little things done, most of which I made myself because I'm too cheap to buy stuff. ***SOLD***
Now I'm rolling in a 2014 Can Am Maverick 1000R Side by Side. I loved the Yammi but injuries and age conspired against riding an ATV anymore.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Long time Skidoo fan here . . . can't see myself jumping ship since the local dealer literally 5 minutes down the road is a Skidoo dealer and I've had good luck with them . . . but if I was to look at another sled it would most likely be a Yamaha.

Currently running a 2007 Skidoo GSX 500ss (600 engine) . . . did a little over 200 miles in local riding this past weekend.

Brother in law from CT usually rides a Yamaha RX-1 . . . but he couldn't get it started in the sub-zero temps and used his girlfriend's Polaris.

Thinking my next sled will be a Skidoo as well . . . only a four stroker.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Ya J4K that same storm you guys are getting the rain we are getting 30-50cm of snow which is 12-16 inches.
Jake those 500ss are a strong sled power wise for the size of the engine. I was always a ski doo guy but over the last few years I have just heard so much positive on that Yamaha gensis engine is why I went to Yamaha
post #6 of 10 Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Just a little up date sold the rs vector after two winters of running it put 5000 km on it and only put gas in it worked perfect Bought a new 2018 left over Yamaha sidewinder stx dx 137 hope it is as reliable as the old vector got 800 km on it so far. What a rocket Yamaha built when they built that turbo motor
post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakmatt View Post
Anyone else on the form own a Yamaha snowmobile? I always ski-doo and thought that's all I would ever ride. I had a change of heart and decided to try a Yamaha.. I bought a RS Vector LTX EPS last week. I put 70 miles on it the day I picked it up and love it! Should have changed brands long ago.
I'm heavily active on the totallyamaha.com forums but I own and drive the old school 700 triple 2 stroke redhead style sled. So I'm on the 2 stroke side of the forum witch are completely separate forums then the 4 stroke guys.

My area had a hardcore 4 feet on the ground season. Managed 1800kms of riding thus fare.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 03-24-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Just a little up date sold the rs vector after two winters of running it put 5000 km on it and only put gas in it worked perfect Bought a new 2018 left over Yamaha sidewinder stx dx 137 hope it is as reliable as the old vector got 800 km on it so far. What a rocket Yamaha built when they built that turbo motor
so you using the skidattle ridge trails? ever do a run to long falls, towards the mill rd? you head down towards Millville and Zealand, or more up towards Juniper and Grand Falls?

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #9 of 10 Old 03-26-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Funny thing . . . my brother-in-law also bought a "new" snowmobile this year when he found a smoking deal on a 2017 Sidewinder. Unfortunately, he's most likely going to sell it since it doesn't really match his riding style (i.e. he likes a lighter sled that he can throw around in the tight and twisties and prefers the old style sit down sled).

That said . . . holy cow . . . the Sidewinder is a screamer . . . gobs of power. Around here he doesn't get to use that power much, but this past weekend we went to The County and he was able to tap into just a bit of that power . . . never did manage to pin it to the bar though as there is just so much power.

A very sharp looking sled.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKodiak700 View Post
so you using the skidattle ridge trails? ever do a run to long falls, towards the mill rd? you head down towards Millville and Zealand, or more up towards Juniper and Grand Falls?
Sure do run all that area a lot on my sled and four wheeler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page