Stock battery... - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 10-23-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Stock battery...

Sucks! After 6.2 hours on the meter I had to install because Yamaha doest include one, stock battery died. hadn't started it up in about a month but it was on the trickle charger and walked up to it yesterday and dead... I have a smart battery charger that desulfides and that couldn't even save it.

Apparently Yamaha doesn't even think much of their own batteries because they won't warranty it. Dealer wasn't much help... they said I had to bring the whole quad back to them, 140 mi round trip. No thanks I'm beginning to regret this purchase
post #2 of 16 Old 10-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Sounds like there is a different problem other than the battery.

Mine is going on 3 years and zero problems with the battery except for the time that I left the ignition on over night. My Kodiak may sit for over a month or even longer without starting and it has always fired right up.

I'd check for battery drain when the engine is off plus there may be a problem with your battery maintainer.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-23-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Sounds like there is a different problem other than the battery.

Mine is going on 3 years and zero problems with the battery except for the time that I left the ignition on over night. My Kodiak may sit for over a month or even longer without starting and it has always fired right up.

I'd check for battery drain when the engine is off plus there may be a problem with your battery maintainer.
I agree with jimP, I have let mine set for over month with no charger on it and it fires right up.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Baemel View Post
Sucks! After 6.2 hours on the meter I had to install because Yamaha doest include one, stock battery died. hadn't started it up in about a month but it was on the trickle charger and walked up to it yesterday and dead... I have a smart battery charger that desulfides and that couldn't even save it.

Apparently Yamaha doesn't even think much of their own batteries because they won't warranty it. Dealer wasn't much help... they said I had to bring the whole quad back to them, 140 mi round trip. No thanks I'm beginning to regret this purchase
^^ that right there is why they want the bike, not just the battery.... there is an underlying issue drawing current

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #5 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Possibly an issue with the hour meter? How long did you have the quad before installing the hour meter?
Do you have a digital multi-meter you can use to check for current draw with the key off?

2019 Kodiak EPS SE
Backcountry Blue

2007 Grizzly 400
Red
post #6 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnied10# View Post
Possibly an issue with the hour meter? How long did you have the quad before installing the hour meter?
Do you have a digital multi-meter you can use to check for current draw with the key off?
The bike should have hour meter in the display pod, if it's a new 700 kodiak, that's a stock feature, not an add on meter

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #7 of 16 Old 10-25-2019, 12:18 AM
TRW

Batteries can go bad, and a new one can be bad, but all the comments here are likely right about an issue. The dealer might work with you a bit on the long commute to fix it, but that is what you might want to do.

And I know how you feel, you spend a lot of money and buy the best and then have issues, that is very painful. Hopefully this will be solved soon and not reoccur.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-25-2019, 10:53 AM

I would take it in under the warranty to have the electrical system checked out if you have any more issues with a new battery. That's what your warranty is for even if it is a long drive, (I'm assuming they are your closest dealer) I would make an appointment with the dealer so you can wait for it and take it home the same day, because it shouldn't take them more than half day max.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-28-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I have a 2016 kodiak 700. Bought it new. Battery lasted three years. I have a out 20 hours run time. After recharging original battery a few times. Bought a new battery. Everything was fine til weather cooled off. Having g to charge battery, and it Not starting. Looking for a hint as to what to look at.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-28-2019, 07:45 PM

Check the charging voltage on the battery with the engine running, it should be around 14.2 volts. At least that is what I see on my aftermarket gauge.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page