2020 Kodiak Hitch and CV protectors - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

2020 Kodiak Hitch and CV protectors

So what's the general consensus on the stock tow bar that comes on the base model? Adequate for what the unit can tow or a weak link? While I have a small trailer I don't anticipate heavy loads, but I do have a small harrow I use for working food plots. Is it up to that task or should I upgrade?

Also, the CVs look awful exposed. I can't seem to find any OEM protectors for the Kodiak. Will the ones for the Grizzly work? I did find stick stoppers but they're kind of proud of them. Any other options I'm not aware of? Thanks.
post #2 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 11:32 AM

I regularly tow over a thousand pounds with no issues as well as a double set of diamond harrows. Hitch handles it fine.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 11:53 AM

One advantage that a receiver type hitch has over the one on the base model has is that you have options on hitch height and what you can place into it. Where as the stock bar just has the ability to mount a ball on it, that is unless you get creative.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
For CV boot protection, you should be able to buy OEM protectors for the upper level trim models that come with them. (SE, EPS).

I looked on Rocky Mountain ATV, and for a 2020 EPS model you can get the OEM front guards (#25, 1HP-F3123-00-00 COVER, UNDER 1, and #26 1HP-F3133-00-00 COVER, LOWER 2) for $11.55 and $13.40.
You can get the OEM rear guards (#15 1HP-F2128-00-00 COVER, THRUST 1, and #18 1HP-F2129-00-00 COVER, THRUST 2) for $16.20 each.

They should bolt right on (you can buy the bolts from them as well). They are made of plastic and are definitely not as tough as some aftermarket options such as StickStopper or Ricochet, but will offer some protection. I have had to replace a skid plate that was ripped off while riding on a logging skid road and the one I ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV fit perfectly and was of exact same quality as stock. On of my front CV guards has taken some damage from a rock or stick, but it probably saved the CV boot. at the low replacement price, I will probably replace it with another OEM one soon.

I would love to get a set of Ricochet or Baltic Armor underside protection, but i need to replace my stocker tires first as I have worn them out already and definitely need tougher ones moving forward. Looking hard at Bearclaw HTRs.

I hope this information is helpful to you, thomasr.

Happy Trails!

: )B

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
- custom Airbox
- AIS blocked
- Yamaha OEM rear cargo box
- American Trails fender bag
2015 Kawasaki Brute Force 300
- stock
2011 Yamaha TW 200
- Jimbo windshield
- Barkbuster type handguards
- Yamaha OEM rear rack
- D.I.D. chain
- customized exhaust and tip
1987 Honda Fatcat
- customized metal rear fender and headlight pod
post #5 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Folks, thank you all for the helpful info. I love forums like this.

Hercanstein, I looked at the part numbers for the CV protectors you provided. I checked the applications against the Yamaha site and it never stated that they would fit my 2020 Kodiak 450 base model. It only mentioned several iterations of the Grizzly. Will they still fit my Kodiak? Just want to double check before I order anything.

And as a side note, I queried the folks about the Stick Stoppers. Currently backordered...probably 4-6 weeks out. My luck.

Thanks again everybody.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 03:20 PM

Garage
My Bad thomasr, I didn't realize you were on a 450. the information I gave was for a 700.

I don't think that the parts I referenced will fit your machine.

Ricochet has a set for 2018-2019 kodiak 450 for $209.95 that will probably fit your 2020. Way more $$, but surely better protection.

https://ricochetoffroad.com/collecti...=6468148658208

Iron Baltic also makes under armor for your machine but seems to only sell full bottom coverage sets.

ironbaltic.com

Sorry I gave you erroneous information earlier.

Hope you find a solution that won't "break the bank".

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
- custom Airbox
- AIS blocked
- Yamaha OEM rear cargo box
- American Trails fender bag
2015 Kawasaki Brute Force 300
- stock
2011 Yamaha TW 200
- Jimbo windshield
- Barkbuster type handguards
- Yamaha OEM rear rack
- D.I.D. chain
- customized exhaust and tip
1987 Honda Fatcat
- customized metal rear fender and headlight pod
post #7 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Hercanstein,
No worries, I know you were only trying to help. I looked at the other units you mentioned, pricey for sure. I may just drive carefully till the Strong Made folks get spun back up for some stick stoppers. Still pricey, but not as pricey. Maybe Santa Claus will hook me up. No wait...that's how I got the Kodiak. More scheming to do.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 04:06 PM

I went through a online parts supplier for Yamaha and didn't find any factory CV joint protectors. I looked at all the models and nothing. You might want to go down to your dealer and see if they are available on a EPS model but they may not be where aftermarket will be your only recourse.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-24-2019, 09:52 PM

As far as the towing goes if you get one of these you can tow a lot of weight no problem. My boat in this photo is about 4000 lbs. make sure you use low gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88853212-89B1-419B-9DC3-2DB126B8D2A9_1571964655388.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	8242  
post #10 of 16 Old 10-25-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
As far as the towing goes if you get one of these you can tow a lot of weight no problem. My boat in this photo is about 4000 lbs. make sure you use low gear.
Also with a hitch like that all the tongue weight is on the dolly and not on the Kodiak with it's rear suspension bottoming out.

Here's the one that I built

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page