Elka shocks? - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-22-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Elka shocks?

Hey, I'm new, from Quebec up in french Canada, anyone here "invest" in Elka shocks?
I want to upgrade cause i have tracks and i feel like after 2 seasons theyve added some wear to my shocks
Riding a 2016 700 base model, bought it for plowing, atleast thats what i tell my girlfriend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190123_160217_1571794811466.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	8230   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_130617_1571794914068.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	8232  
post #2 of 14 Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 PM

Hey there. Fellow French Canadian here, but I'm an Ontarian. Why do you feel you need new shocks already?

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #3 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 AM
TRW

I have no idea on the shocks, but that is sure a cool machine you have there! Does that think float on deep snow? What do tracks like that cost? How does it feel to ride and turn?

I will say this about the shocks, if you ride slow, the shocks have very little effect.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 02:25 AM

I have my eye on those Elka shocks too. Just have to wait until they are the priority as they ain't cheap!

Love those tracks of yours! I've seen some drive belts on videos after a season and the belts take a beating with valley cracking and whatnot. Might want to replace it every spring just as a precaution.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

It definitely floats in deep snow, i havent gotten stuck yet. They cost $4500 with tax , i contemplated a getting a snowmobile vs tracks and decided on tracks .. only thing i didnt realize is im not aloud on the winter atv trails around here and im not aloud on the snowmobile trails so that was a bit of a let down. I live around farm land so i go exploring around the house and take it out on the lakes for ice fishing .
It can be hard to turn, ive contemplated installing a power steering kit, but im still on the fence with that. And i do rub my fenders a bit if i go hard and get some air or when i go through steep ditches. Ive contacted camso and they suggested i try adjusting them before i do a lift kit or new shocks.
I also learnt from this forum about the cracking belt, which i will be checking when i get home from work ! But i dont regret the purchase, so much fun and i can plow for dayssss
post #6 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 11:18 PM
TRW

Thanks for the info. Lots of very interesting input. Power steering is very nice. You might try to talk to local officials on the trail access, I would think you could work something out, as long as you don't tear things up.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-23-2019, 11:43 PM

For the cost of the Elka shocks and power steering kit, you could probably trade up.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
For the cost of the Elka shocks and power steering kit, you could probably trade up.
true, but he would still have stock shocks, and beat them to death in a couple years. els are built for punishment and give a cloud like ride

but that new bike smell is hard to resist lol

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #9 of 14 Old 10-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Even with 12 000kms of rough trails and aggressive driving, my 10 year old factory shocks are holding up like champs!!!! Upgrading to Elkas are for an improved ride not durability

I too considered tracks for my machine and selling my snowmobile. Interestingly I had 4 guys who run tracks on their quads all told me not too. In their opinions tracks are excellent for winter work, trapping, ice fishing, but don't replace the real thrill of high power winter sledding...I was surprised by that answer and their honesty...Guess these guys had a good judgement on my personality and riding style...

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 10-24-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-24-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Yea, i agree with their opinion, i dont regret my decision to buy tracks but i use them for snow removal and pulling an ice shack. If you want speed and trails , tracks probably arent the right purchase, more of a utility buy in my mind, still fun tho but not the same as flying in a sled hanging on for your life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page