Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Kodiak vs. Grizzly -- What made everyone choose their Kodiak?
Fellow Kodiak owners, I'd like to hear your thoughts and reasoning behind choosing the Kodiak over the Grizzly. I am curious as to what swayed your decision, and think this could be a helpful thread for those looking to pull the trigger on either machine.
My reasoning for going with the 2019 EPS SE:
- Coming from older (and smaller quads), the Grizzly just felt unnecessarily cumbersome. At 5'11" and 200 pounds, the Kodiak is plenty comfortable. I can see how the extra seat height and machine length/width of the Grizzly would be preferred by much larger riders however.
- I ride a lot of narrow trails, especially when hunting. The narrower frame and general nimbleness of the Kodiak make a big difference here.
- I don't do a whole lot of deep mudding, where the extra lift and flotation of the larger, non-staggered tires would come in handy.
- It's essentially the same machine & motor for over $1300 less. That savings got me a brand new utility trailer and some new ratchet straps.
- There has been lots of talk about Yamaha updating the Griz with a more powerful engine. If the writing's on the wall, I'd rather have Yamaha's absolute top of the line '2nd tier' quad than one that struggles to compete with the major players in the '1st tier' big bore category. It seems like the Kodiak knows its place and performs exceptionally well within it.