Kodiak vs. Grizzly -- What made everyone choose their Kodiak? - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 10-04-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Kodiak vs. Grizzly -- What made everyone choose their Kodiak?

Fellow Kodiak owners, I'd like to hear your thoughts and reasoning behind choosing the Kodiak over the Grizzly. I am curious as to what swayed your decision, and think this could be a helpful thread for those looking to pull the trigger on either machine.

My reasoning for going with the 2019 EPS SE:

- Coming from older (and smaller quads), the Grizzly just felt unnecessarily cumbersome. At 5'11" and 200 pounds, the Kodiak is plenty comfortable. I can see how the extra seat height and machine length/width of the Grizzly would be preferred by much larger riders however.
- I ride a lot of narrow trails, especially when hunting. The narrower frame and general nimbleness of the Kodiak make a big difference here.
- I don't do a whole lot of deep mudding, where the extra lift and flotation of the larger, non-staggered tires would come in handy.
- It's essentially the same machine & motor for over $1300 less. That savings got me a brand new utility trailer and some new ratchet straps.
- There has been lots of talk about Yamaha updating the Griz with a more powerful engine. If the writing's on the wall, I'd rather have Yamaha's absolute top of the line '2nd tier' quad than one that struggles to compete with the major players in the '1st tier' big bore category. It seems like the Kodiak knows its place and performs exceptionally well within it.

Cheers!
post #2 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 06:42 AM

Garage
I bought the base model kodiak 700 because of the price. And the specs. It has been more than what i ever expected out of it.

I also had the extra money to buy a utility trailer and all the supplies I needed for riding..

Way worth it.

<:: 2018 Kodiak 700 ::>
post #3 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 AM

The Kodiak - simply due to the fact that I found a screaming deal for a machine with four miles on it from a private party. Saved thousands over what I would have paid for a new one at a dealership.
I have to admit, I had been looking at both the Kodiak and Grizzlies at the dealers. Even then, I was leaning towards the Kodiak due to the compactness and price.
If you want Grizzly performance, just install 20 gram weights and 1" wheel spacers.
I prefer the lower cruising rpm's with the 30 gram weights though.

2019 Kodiak EPS SE
Backcountry Blue

2007 Grizzly 400
Red
post #5 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sounds like a **** of a deal!

I hear a lot of guys do the Grizzly mods. It's good to know the option is there if need be. For me this quad is plenty so far as-is...+1 on the low end cruising. For those who are obsessed solely with displacement a Grizzly wouldn't really cut it anyway.

The 650's - 850's are obviously in a different league but just didn't make sense for me. I mean, how **** fast do you need to go on a utility quad? Not to mention the overheating, poor fuel economy, reliability issues, much higher price tag, and loud exhaust spooking all the wildlife within miles.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 08:48 AM

For me it was the price first, I found 2 repossessed with low milage , power steering for the wife and I at a great price .now after having rode them I love the the sealed rear brakes for playing in the mud. I will be modding mine and hers over this winter.

Oh and I agree on the big 850-1000cc machines, they are impressive no doubt. but I just didn’t see the need for that kind of power .

Last edited by Rob-c; 10-05-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
+1 on the sealed rear brakes.

I was riding a friend's Outlander 650 last week. It's a nice machine, but just has a cheaper overall feel compared to the Japanese quads, especially Yamaha.

It's geared more towards mid-range cruising and higher top speeds and it completely lacked that jumpy torque off the line. That's what I enjoy the most about the Kodiak.

2019 700 EPS SE
Backcountry Blue

Added:
Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
Aluminum Skid Plates
Kolpin Rhino Grips
post #8 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 AM

I prefer the “Smallish” feel of the Kodiak and love the Sit In style seating instead of Sit On Top. Price between the Kodiak SE and Grizzly SE was 1900$ at my dealer which really made the decision easy. I liked the Grizzly handlebars better but that was fixed on my Kodiak with the ROX riser/bar combo. Test rode a bunch of similarly powered ATV’s and the Kodiak just had the perfect combo of Power/Ride/Handling for me. The Can-am 570 felt a touch stronger but the extra weight and size was very noticeable to me, and it gave up too much handling for a cushier ride. Actually I’d like to go heads up now against an Outty 570 since I’ve swapped to 20oz weights.

19' Blue Kodiak SE

-Rox Riser/handlebar combo
-Reptile Radial 27x9/27x11 on stock SE wheels
post #9 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Had a 400 Kodiak for years and loved the reliability. Like the compact feel of my 700 and as I use it for hunting, choring, and hauling firewood as opposed to recreational riding it is a better fit for me than a grizzly. The power is more than adequate for what I do with a quad.
Yammy2019 likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-05-2019, 12:39 PM

I bought the Kodiak because I was sick of shopping for a bike to be honest. I had looked at several machines by this point and was sick of stealerships that could care less wether you bought or not. In the end, I chose the Kodak eps over the griz more for the price savings than anything else. It still took them 4 days to uncrate and prep it lol.
Yammy2019 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page