Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Lost my Dip Stick

6K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Hondroid 
#1 ·
I was in the woods today and when I headed home enjoying a slow trip looking around and all of a sudden I was in the middle of a smoke bath.* I shut off my ATV and it was just smoking from the center of the machine, I could not see flames and I looked around the other side and see oil on the left side.* So I took out the little panel* that covers the dip stick and the dip stick was gone, and apparently oil was shooting out of there and got on the manifold exhaust pipe, and started smoking.* So I looked for the dip stick, fist on the engine and then on the bottom where it should have been laying on the skid plates, but all I found was a big stick that must have somehow pushed the dip stick out by poking it in the little finger hole that is there to grab it out of the engine when I want to check the oil.
I finally plugged that hole with a stick I whittled, and drove back home.* I did not think I lost much oil, but I have no way of knowing.

Anyone know of a good place to buy a new Dip Stick, or how long it is so I can figure out what my oil level is? When I get a new one, I am going to modify it, as I don't think this could happen twice, but not going to find out!

#2 ·
Just go to your dealer. Buying one online would kill you on shipping. If your dealer is a ways away call them first incase they have to order it

Or go to a online parts source and get the part number, then do a search on the number and see what pops up.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Jim, Could not find one on line! Here is a link that you may remember, kind of an interesting situation.

Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum > Yamaha Kodiak 700 Tech Talk > Kodiak 700 Engine & Transmission > oil plug/dipstick popped out

And one more I found

Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission > dip stick plug.

#5 ·
Here is the part number for it B16-E5362-00-00 it is listed under Plug Oil Level in the crankcase diagrams.

I checked a few online parts dealers and they don't have one available and if you put in the part number on a search on Ebay one pops up for a Grizzly which is the same one. They want $15 for it.

I'd check with your local dealer.

#6 ·
Any chance if I call the dealer they might void my warranty? I agree with KodiakAfishyo, I wish it screwed in. All of you will have to wonder like me, if it is going to come out at a critical time and cause issues.

Good job finding this JimP, I will call the dealer, and not use my name, I paid for the extended warranty, and as you know Yamaha is not away honorable. I assumed that that stick popped mine out, but now I am not so sure. It would take a remarkable coincidence to get that entire dip stick to clear the hole and fall out.

#7 ·
I'd also drop the skid plate to make sure that it didn't find a corner that you can't see.

As for the warranty I don't see how it could

#9 ·
Just start with the front one then the middle one. If it is still with you it'll be on the middle one.

Also if you are doing your own maintenance I like to drop them anyway. That way there isn't a oily mess on them

#10 ·
Yes, I do all my own maintenance, and I will do that, I am going to make a temporary plug. I am very creative, so I might come up with one for permanent. I have no idea if I am low on oil or not, I assume somewhat but don't know. I might change the oil just to measure it going in.

#11 ·
I'll get you some measurements off of mine Sunday so that you can check your oil

#13 ·
Luckily you don't really have time to lose much oil as it immediately starts squirting everywhere and you notice it right away. I checked my oil once and didn't get the plug in all the way. Within 3 seconds after starting it smoke was coming out and I shut it down. It made a mess inside the engine area but I only lost a little bit of oil.

#14 ·
Here is a picture, for some reason I can't get it to upload into the photo section of the forum.

From the end of the rubber part to the full mark is 3 1/2". From the full mark to the add mark is 1/2".

Attachments

#15 ·
Thank you JimP, that will make my day much better, as I have plans to use this Kodiak today, and now I can check it and put in a plug. I also am going to go look again for the old dip stick as Colorado Kodiak 700 indicated it should be close by where the oil started spraying out.

Thanks to both of you for the wonderful help!

#16 ·
OK, so I decided to start up the engine and after no oil spraying out of my poor fitting stick plug, so I pulled it out. Whoa, that was alot of oil splashing out fast. So I then went to the spot where I first noticed smoke and had stopped. And like Colorado Kodiak 700 said the oil comes out fast once the dip stick comes out, I started looking, and found it in one minute. I had used the info from JimP to bring my oil lever up to normal, about a half quart. So now I have it back in there and a string to catch it if it happens again.

A special thanks to JimP for the picture and measureing the stick!

#22 ·
OK just a little follow up. I put a 12 inch strong string on the loop, and tied it to the plastic housing. I drilled a small hole and pulled it through and put a know in it right next to the big plug that goes in to conceal the dip stick access.

The other thing I will mention is that it continues to smell hot now when I have started it and driven it about 6 times.

#23 ·
You might have to take it for a good drive or to the car wash to get all the oil off of the exhaust and coolant lines if you are smelling that burnt oil smell.

Now, after hearing of loosing the dip stick and what some of you have done to remedy the situation, at least loosing it I decided to fix mine.

I took a piece of stranded wire that I have along with a 3/6" eye bolt and a 10-24 lock nut along with a couple of washers and sleeves for the wire and a clip that I had and came up with this. I drilled a hole into the oil check cover and mounted the eye bolt using a plain nut, washers, and lock nut. I then crimped a eye in the wire with it going through the eye bolt and then crimped a eye in the wire looped through the clip.

If you wanted to you can remove the clip from the dip stick which will free up the oil check cover or leave it.

All told I am into this fix about $2.00 and 10 minutes worth of time.

#25 ·
This will just give some a idea of what they can do. Granted you are going to need a way to crimp the sleeves for the cable to go the way that I did but string would work just as well

#26 ·
Or as I mentioned to Jim in another post, my landlord mentioned using a braided steel fishing leader with the clip on it end of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.