Leaving Honda joining Yamaha - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 24 Old 08-28-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Leaving Honda joining Yamaha

Hi, all. I own two Honda Ranchers which I'm selling to a friend. Getting too old to manually shift gears and muscle a non power steering ATV. I plan on buying a 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS SE. One question, why does Yamaha (canada) advertise a lever actuated 4WD system yet when I look up pics on the net I'm not seeing the 4WD lever on that particular model. So does the US get the electronic shift and Canada gets the lever?? Or did Yamaha change something mid stream and not edit their web page to reflect the changes?

Any opinions would be great.
post #2 of 24 Old 08-28-2019, 07:58 PM

The base model is lever shifted. The eps and eps se are electric and include diff lock. At least the 2020 models do.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-28-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laval View Post
The base model is lever shifted. The eps and eps se are electric and include diff lock. At least the 2020 models do.
Ok. Thanks. I'm going to look at one tomorrow. Dealer advertising $1,000 off msrp. I'll believe it when I see AND hear it from the sales guy..or gal.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-28-2019, 10:25 PM
TRW

Good to hear from you. Yes, unless there is something I am not aware of, your new one will have a power button, so it is easy to do. The lever was OK also, and in the long run might have been more reliable, but they are not troublesome. Honda makes some you don't need to shift, but my choice is the Yamaha also. Sounds like you are looking at a good price, let us know what that is if you get a chance.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 11:10 AM

I wish my ESP SE had a lever instead of push button, simpler and ALWAYS works. Not that I've had issue with the Kodiak electric 4x4 but I have on previous "other brand" machines. The lever on the Base Kodiak is on the handlebars, left hand side. I still have a pair of Rancher 420s and I love the BIG simple 4x4 shift on fly lever...... Although, after riding my Kodiak a lot, I tend to try putting the Rancher 420 in Drive with the 4x4 lever LoL!

19' Blue Kodiak SE

-Rox Riser/handlebar combo
-Reptile Radial 27x9/27x11 on stock SE wheels
post #6 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 01:25 PM

I had the electrical 4x4 switch on my old 2000 Kodiak and with over 16 years of use I had zero problems with it. I did have the switch freeze up after I left it out during a rain and it froze, but I froze in the 4x4 position.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 02:33 PM

With ESP & ESP SE models you get a lot more features also along with the electric 4X4 switch ... as mentioned, the Diff-lock but also 3rd headlight and digital speedometer control center which is real nice. And of course power steering which you wont want to live without once you have had it. And why you are getting rid of the Honda.

Last edited by KodiakAfishyo; 08-29-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I have two manual shift Ranchers without power steering and it's become a pain. One dealer here in Toronto is selling one new for $10,895. The EPS SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
With ESP & ESP SE models you get a lot more features also along with the electric 4X4 switch ... as mentioned, the Diff-lock but also 3rd headlight and digital speedometer control center which is real nice. And of course power steering which you wont want to live without once you have had it. And why you are getting rid of the Honda.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 04:12 PM

If you buy it send pictures.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-29-2019, 06:22 PM

I'll add my first post here as well since I fit this topic.

Have a 1987 Honda Foretrax and its finally time to upgrade. Dealer near me has the 2019 base 700 model for $5,800. Anyone have any negotiating tips or is that already a pretty good deal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in