Hot hot!!! - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Hot hot!!!

I own a 2017 Kodiak 700. It's the first ATV I've owned so my results may be normal but I notice it gets really hot after just a short period of use. I don't see any warning lights but it seems abnormal. I took it in for first service at an authorized dealer but it's still seems very hot after about 10 minutes of riding.
post #2 of 17 Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
It’s normal that 700s run hot. There're a few things you can do.

Delete the AIS (AIS burns the unburnt fuel in your exhaust to meet emissions) this will cool down your exhaust and you will have less backfires when letting off the throttle too. There’re videos on YouTube how to do it.

Wrapping your exhaust pipe, doubling up on heat reflective tape, and make sure you clean any mud out of your radiator (front and back).

16 Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
Travellers 3500lb winch
Light Bar
Curt 2" hitch
UNI air filter
EPI 18g Clutch weights
post #3 of 17 Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 AM

It's normal. I actually have a temperature gauge on mine and it will fluctuate between 196 and 206 degrees. It feel warmer due to the air flow around the motor.

I used some heat reflective tape to go onto the fender above the muffler to cool that area down. Before a passenger had a hard time sitting behind me and now it is more comfortable. My next step is to get the exhaust pipes ceramic coated to help. But neither help what the thermostat opens and closes at and the air flow around the motor and out of the vents on the sides.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 AM

The tape helps.
I added a bunch on the underside of all the plastics.
Another thing you need is a fuel tuner to richen the mixture. Lean is hotter.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 12:06 AM
TRW

I have always been amazed at the high temp from the 700. Is there a consensus on doing the AIS plug as XeroSasEnchros talked about?
post #6 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
I have always been amazed at the high temp from the 700. Is there a consensus on doing the AIS plug as XeroSasEnchros talked about?
It doesn’t hinder performance or reliability. The only reason its there is to meet emissions.

https://youtu.be/7hETdp4yLR0

16 Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
Travellers 3500lb winch
Light Bar
Curt 2" hitch
UNI air filter
EPI 18g Clutch weights
post #7 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 PM
TRW

Interesting, I can't imagine this modern day unleaded gas is a contributor air pollution. My chainsaw smokes, my ATV does not.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Interesting, I can't imagine this modern day unleaded gas is a contributor air pollution. My chainsaw smokes, my ATV does not.
But then your chainsaw is using a oil/gas mix and will smoke due to the oil.

But it isn't just the smoke that they are regulating but all kinds of things that you get when you burn any type of gasoline.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-01-2019, 10:45 PM
TRW

Thanks JimP, I have limited knowledge on this pollution control stuff, I do know that the fuel burns so much cleaner than when I was a kid.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-01-2019, 11:50 PM

Actually we found out years ago when we were building high horsepower engines that the higher the HP the better the fuel burn was along with the better fuel mileage you got if you ran the correct type carburetor along with the fuel jetting.

We had one Chevy 327 that was pushing 500hp on the dyno while in a car that got a little bit over 30 mpg during the break in on the motor. This was with a 2 barrel carburetor and a 4 speed manual transmission. Now when we put those 2 4 barrel carburetors on top of that engine she drank fuel like there was no tomorrow. But when we put the car on the dyno and stuck the sniffers up the pipes that motor was burning as clean as a freshly changed baby.

The problem comes from people not maintaining their vehicles for peak performance and as the time wears on without a tune up every week things start to deteriorate to the point that the pollution starts to pour out of the pipes.

So now to meet all the federal regulations things are choked down and leaned out so much other problems come up. But the engine builders don't have to worry about it once that vehicle leaves the showroom. It is now up to the consumer to take care of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page