Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

K&N Filter

7K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Kimacobb 
#1 ·
Is the K&N filter a popular choice for the Kodiak?

I've always used these on my motorcycles with really great success, I figure one should do the same with the Kodiak..?

#2 · (Edited)
Some people have had issues with them in dusty environments. The cotton gauze type of air filters don't filter out the dust as well as foam filters.

I use an UNI air filter in my Kodiak 700 and they have worked great.

#6 ·
The Uni filter was delivered today according to the tracking, should be at the house when I get home! :smile2:

Reactions: XeroSasEnchros
#7 ·
Here is a free fix that I made, because I have found all of these fixes interesting but have always considered the stock filter to be a very good quality filter and I did not want to switch to a paper filter because the oiled foam filters are superior for blocking dust. This is very simple; check out the attached photo's. I took a piece of scrap 2X4 and cut it to about 5.5" then wedged it in behind the filter and marked it for depth then cut it for depth so that it fit in flush (see 1st photo). Then all you need to do once you get a good tight flush fit that pushes the filter forward nice and tight is trim the 3 posts flush off of the top cover so they just slightly touch or push down on the wood block. Now you have a nice tight seal at the air intake. If you want added air flow around the back side of the filter and air box, just drill some half inch holes in the block, as many as you like, 4 or 5 should be sufficient.
Here is a fix I posted in "Air filter Fix" thread last month if you want to continue using the stock filter and have it sealed completely. It has worked amazingly well for me. I also drilled 5, 1/2' holes down through the block and another through the center going the full length of the block ( not shown in photo ) for good air flow around the back of the filter also...maybe overkill but I liked the end results better. This costs nothing and I think the stock filter is otherwise a very good filter once you get it sealed up tight.

Attachments

#11 ·
I was going to try this fix. But after looking at the top cover to the filter it looks to me like the tabs on the cover, when you install the cover, are designed to push the filter forward.
Your thoughts?

#13 ·
Got the filter in and oiled up! And before it's pointed out...I will pull it and wipe the box before I put the lid on! :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: rancherMike
#20 ·
Thank you XeroSasEnchros. It looks like that is the foam for the outside of a filter. Do you know the part number for the filter that clamps in place to replace the stock filter?

#22 ·
The stock (and uni) for the grizzly/kodiak filter is foam that slides over a grated cylinder.

There is an aftermarket cotton style filter (k&n) that has been known to let fine dust through.

That’s the only time I’ve seen people put a foam filter over a cotton style filter. (Baja and other desert riding)

#23 ·
Haven't been on here in a number of days, I got mine from Amazon.

#24 ·
Howdy folks,
Thank you for being so kind to me. I just wanted to update that I found the NU-3268ST - Uni-Filter Two-Stage Air Filter. For Yamaha Grizzly 700 and Kodiak 700 ATVs and the filter oil UFF-100 - Uni-Filter Foam Filter Oil for $33.67 shipping included, on this website https://www.mfgsupply.com/nu-3268st.html

Thanks for the help folks.

#25 ·
Howdy folks,
Thank you for being so kind to me. I just wanted to update that I found the NU-3268ST - Uni-Filter Two-Stage Air Filter. For Yamaha Grizzly 700 and Kodiak 700 ATVs and the filter oil UFF-100 - Uni-Filter Foam Filter Oil for $33.67 shipping included, on this website NU-3268ST - Uni-Filter Two-Stage Air Filter. For Yamaha Grizzly 700 and Kodiak 700 ATVs | ATV Parts | MFG Supply

Thanks for the help folks.
How did it work ? looking to buy another filter was wondering how you liked it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.