Thoughts on the 2019 Kodiak's with the new 686cc Motor - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

My thoughts on the 2019 Kodiak's with the new 686cc

I have put about 5 Hr's on the new 19 Kodiak. My first impression is as advertised it is a much smoother machine all around. My 17 did not run near as smooth as this 19. With that said from what I can tell thus far the 686cc is missing a little grunt in the bottom end that the 708cc possessed which I'm gonna miss during firewood season. I will say it is much happier at slower cruising speeds as well. It is not as hard to keep the speed in the teens which was sometimes a struggle with the 708cc. As far as being reliable only time will tell but I had no problems out of the 708cc while I owned it. I will add this is not the old 686 either, it is way more responcive when you give it a little juice and again way smoother and easier on gas so far too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATwkU4JLRCuADQ3EpgAXRw.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	7706  

2019 Kodiak EPS Gray
AKA the (Hitwagon) 2.0

Last edited by Hardwood Hitman; 06-15-2019 at 10:12 PM.
post #2 of 18 Old 06-16-2019, 05:07 AM

Thank you for posting your observations on the newer 686 vs 708 Gen motors. Good to hear your enjoying your new machine..

There are plenty of clutch mods that can be done to give you more bottom end torque. The easiest is to start with a 1mm or 1.5 mm clutch shim. Cost is less then 5$. A stiffer spring also helps. Most get the Epi purple witch is 30$. Many do the spring and shim together. But I started out with the shim for about 600 miles before changing to a stronger spring

Oh, and Lighter weights are another easy mod that will help wake up your CVT.

I run a Coop45 machined sheave witch gives me 30% lower initial cvt ratio compared to stock.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 06-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-17-2019, 12:24 AM
TRW

Why did you buy a new one? Thanks for the input, I think the fact that you bought a Kodiak is a testament to the machine. I will also be glad to get your feedback on increased fuel mileage.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I am not going to lie, It was mostly to due to the reliability talks around the 708cc. The reason I went with another Yamaha is everything else, I just think they are built as good if not better than any other machine out thier. As we all know the transmission is second to none and other than the motor it is the most important component on the machine. Fuel consumption, Im going to start tracking it a little closer to get some real numbers. Now I may be skewed a bit due to the fact I only run 91.5 Octane Non-Ethenol fuel which is much more efficient than standard 10% Eth.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-17-2019, 10:45 AM

Garage
I've struggled to get an accurate mpg number. Driving conditions and throttle abuse will change the number and it's a challenge to know how much fuel I'm putting back in. I also think the fuel gauge moves quicker on the top half than the bottom half.
So far I tend to go about 50 miles on about a half tank which is about 20 mpg.

2019 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
post #6 of 18 Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 PM
TRW

Thanks for the info on why you got the new engine. I can relate to that, but I did find they seemed to work out most of the bugs. I get about 10 mph, but work the machine hard in hills and pulling things.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Wasn't the issues with the 708 all with just the 2016 model year, the year it was first introduced? That's seems to be what I have read most about. I have a 2017 and have no issues at all and no oil consumption. At 500 miles I figured it was fully broke in and switched to AMSOIL full synthetic 10w-40 ATV oil. Oil consumption will usually be higher with a full synthetic vs conventional oils and I still have zero oil consumption.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
Wasn't the issues with the 708 all with just the 2016 model year, the year it was first introduced? That's seems to be what I have read most about. I have a 2017 and have no issues at all and no oil consumption. At 500 miles I figured it was fully broke in and switched to AMSOIL full synthetic 10w-40 ATV oil. Oil consumption will usually be higher with a full synthetic vs conventional oils and I still have zero oil consumption.

Some 2017 were also effected.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 06-20-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-21-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakAfishyo View Post
synthetic vs conventional oil will make no difference when it comes to consumption.

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #10 of 18 Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM

It is a old wives tale about synthetic causing leaks and more consumption because it is usually thinner than dino or semi synthetic.

We used to hear it all the time on the diesel forums about the problems when switching to it but it seams that the stories about it have gone away.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page