Alternative air filter fix - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-28-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Alternative air filter fix

What do you guys think of this? Would be much cheaper than the EHS fix and in theory should be just as effective. I’ve got the stuff on order and am going to give it a try as soon as it comes in. I’m going to go with a UNI filter instead of the k&n tho for the better filtering characteristics.

https://youtu.be/NfRYsw8IBk8
post #2 of 14 Old 05-28-2019, 10:47 PM
TRW

This is interesting, so can you give some info, like what are the advantages in your opinion?
post #3 of 14 Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Well for one, it addresses the loose air filter connection that plagues bikes with the factory air boxes, which allows dust/dirt to bypass the factory air filter and contaminate the engine. Not all bikes seem to have this issue, mine did. I have been running a napa gold(will have to look to find the part#) paper filter that makes a much better connection with the rubber neck stack sticks out into the air box, but at higher work loads it feels as if my bikes is struggling with power from the paper filter, like it can't get enough air. So I am going to give this a trial and see how it works out. I did the calculations and I believe I found a uni filter that will work perfectly with the hvac duct mount I ordered from Amazon. If I can fix this reliably fix this issue I'm suspecting one would gain increased engine life and a small bit of power at an affordable price.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Okay I dug around and the Napa air filter I have been using is napa# 6790. It seems to stop the dust/dirt contamination but I'm pretty sure it's robbing power, at least somewhat. I think a properly maintained UNI filter would filter as well or almost as well as a paper and wouldn't rob as much power. The only issue I see with the mod I'm wanting to go with is the wall inside the air box that this hvac mount is going to be screwed into is pretty thin, dunno how well screwing into it will hold up as the screws might try to strip out. I might end up going with bolts instead but then I'll have to rip the plastic top off that separates the compartment where the AIS and the crankcase vent is located.

Last edited by Branton Hudson; 05-29-2019 at 12:41 AM. Reason: thought of additional info to add
post #5 of 14 Old 05-29-2019, 08:25 PM
TRW

Again this is interesting and I think your plan is a good one. Keep us posted!
post #6 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I got this done today and I have to say it works amazingly well! I ordered the same spectre hvac duct mount they guy in the video used, and bought a uni 6325ST filter and a can of uni foam filter oil since they don’t come pre oiled. I used a tube of high temp, high torque and vibration gasket maker from advanced auto to make sure it was sealed up well and some short screws. I highly recommend this mod!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A42AB5F2-44D8-4657-BAE9-BBF9AC9EC87C_1559342524059.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	7646  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 08:50 AM

I think I am going to go this route if I keep my Kodiak. Thanks for posting.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branton Hudson View Post
I got this done today and I have to say it works amazingly well! I ordered the same spectre hvac duct mount they guy in the video used, and bought a uni 6325ST filter and a can of uni foam filter oil since they donít come pre oiled. I used a tube of high temp, high torque and vibration gasket maker from advanced auto to make sure it was sealed up well and some short screws. I highly recommend this mod!
Just curious why you didn't go with the spectre performance filter in the video? Are they of poor quality?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I did a good bit of research on foam vs fiber filters and foam seems to be in the middle-ground when compared to woven fiber filters like spectre/K&N and plain old paper filters. Plus the factory filter is an oil bathed foam filter so this was essentially an upgrade to the way the filter interfaces to the intake tube and being a slightly bigger filter should in theory help it breathe better while filtering out harmful particles that K&N and Spectre filters allow to pass through.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-03-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Also wanted to add, I went for a long ride yesterday. We haven't had rain for nearly a month now and the trails were EXTREMELY dusty. Was behind a few people too so I got some of the worst of it. Took the filter out this morning and checked the inside of the intake tube and am pleased to report no noticeable dust build up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page