2016 Kodiak 700 electrical issue - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

2016 Kodiak 700 electrical issue

Hoping someone here can help me. My Kodiak developed an electrical issue over the course of the winter when I tried to start it on severely cold days.

I turn the key to the on position and the instrumentation lights come on. As soon as I hit the starter button I hear a small click near the fuse box and the power drops out. The instrument lights go off and it goes completely dead.

I wait a few minutes and try the sequence again with the same result. Any ideas and thanks in advance for the help.

Mark
post #2 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 PM

Sounds like a bad relay and / or poor electrical connection.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-23-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 AM
TRW

I had a 2016 700 Kodiak and had a similar situation and it ended up being a bad starter. The starter when it did turn over had a whine to it. The starter also would struggle to keep turning, it would lock up, on occasion it would start, but it was intermittent. If you jump start it and it does not help, check connections like Vincent suggested, at that point because I had one that failed, I think I would condemn the starter. The dealer should be able to isolate the issue, if you don't want to tackle it.

There is one more issue some have had on these machines, and that is a compression release problem, did your machine go for the recall on this? When not working properly the compression release will not allow the starter to turn over because of high compression.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 AM

sounds more like a weak battery. not maintained over winter. these little batteries don't handle cold well without a maintenance charge.

2018 700 Kodiak EPS SE in stealthy matte black
26" forerunner maxx plus tires
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, guys. The wheeler started right off, even after having sat for a couple of months. I rode it for a couple of hours starting and stopping it several times without incident. Of course, the time it decided to go on the blink I was about three miles away from my truck. I left the wheeler and hiked out.

I assume I stressed the starter when it was bitterly cold. I'd upload a pic of a relay I replaced this winter if I knew how. Is there any way to test a relay? Continuity test, maybe?

Thanks for your help.

Mark
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 06:00 PM

I doubt that it is the relay. They usually either work or not.

It sounds like a bad connection to me. The next time it happens try just holding the starter button down for a while and see if something happens. You can also get a volt/ohm meter or a light to test to see if you have voltage. Then when it happens check the connector on the battery, not the post but the connector itself. Also if it gets to the point that nothing works then it would be easier to test than with something that only happens every now and then.

As for the battery being bad, I doubt it. These batteries are actually quite good for being as small as they are. On my 2000 I ran the factory battery for 17 years before I sold the machine. It never did fail to start it no matter what the weather was like. Even during the winters here in Colorado when I was plowing snow it would crank the engine over until it started, but then it was just a 400cc engine.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I doubt that it is the relay. They usually either work or not.
I disagree, anything is possible.

When a first baught my Grizzly few years ago it would start fine in warm weather but wouldn't start in colder weather, just had the relay buzz. All connection on relay and battery were good . Changed the relay with a Yamaha part and 2 years and 4000 miles later the problem never returnd.

Not saying it what's necessarily wrong in this gentleman's case, but In my situation it was an intermittent relay issue.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-24-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 PM
TRW

By trying a jump start from a vehicle, you can learn some critical things. If it starts, that is an indication the battery is not up to full charge or ability. The relay you can usually hear it click, if it chatters rather than a click that hints a week battery, bad starter or bad connection. A simple click might tell you that the relay is putting power to the starter, but the starter is not turning. The chattering relay is because the battery does its job, but when the voltage is dropped by the starter trying to turn, the voltage drops as the starter is draining the power, causing the relay to drop out, but it will engage instantly, and then drop out instantly and the repeated action causes the chatter sound. Chattering will tell you that the issue is battery, starter, or possibly the relay.

Below is your first post, from that info, I would say your battery or your starter, the lights go out because the starter is consuming all the voltage.

I turn the key to the on position and the instrumentation lights come on. As soon as I hit the starter button I hear a small click near the fuse box and the power drops out. The instrument lights go off and it goes completely dead.

I wait a few minutes and try the sequence again with the same result. Any ideas and thanks in advance for the help.

Mark
post #9 of 9 Old 04-25-2019, 12:37 AM

The relay wouldn't be the problem with the OP loosing the dash lights when he pushed the starter button. That sounds more like a voltage, connection, or battery issue.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page