Ethanol versus Real gas - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
TRW

Ethanol versus Real gas

I don't like ethanol, I don't recommend it, and most recommend against it. I was buying the expensive 91 octane non ethanol gasoline, but ran out and put in the 87 octane 10 percent ethanol. I was a bit surprised but found my 18 Kodiak ran well and started well on the 10 percent ethanol gas.

My question for you is, should I go back to the gas that cost 75 cents more per gallon or keep running on this 87 octane fuel
post #2 of 17 Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 PM

First off your engine simply isn't high performance enough to require 91 octane nor warent the extra cost. Second as much as ethanol isn't good, as long as you regularly use your Atv and don't let it sit around for many months you ll be fine.

That said, if you rarely used your Atv or were storing it for many months, I would certainly recommend filling it with 91 octane and / or some fuel stabilizer.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5mm shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 04-16-2019 at 12:06 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
TRW

I just looked in my Owners Manual and see they allow 10% ethanol, but not methanol, I did not know there was a difference.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 AM

Mine has had nothing but non ethanol from day one. That’s what my dealer had in it when I picked it up, was also recommended by them. Just my preference.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-16-2019, 10:58 PM

I run premium so I don't have to worry about the alcohol eating away at the aluminum, rubber, and anything else it touches.
I also use Stabil in it.
http://blog.jackssmallengines.com/20...mage-up-close/
post #6 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM

Premium doesn't necessarily mean non ethanol. You can have 91 octane and have ethanol in it. I believe it has to state that it is NON ethanol gas to NOT have ethanol in it. That being said, I try to run non ethanol gas in all of my small engines for the example that Primethious showed. For the extra dollar a gallon it costs, to me it is worth it. It isn't like you are using your rig as a daily driver where gas costs would eat you alive. A tank here or there if you can't find it won't hurt it if you burn through it quick enough.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 PM

I've run gas with ethanol in most of my small engines for years without any issues -- chainsaw, snowmobile, ATV, lawn mower, weed beater, etc.

That said . . . as mentioned . . . if I don't plan to use the machine for a while I put some sort of fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank. I also would be leary of running ethanol in older equipment as there are some reported issues with older engines.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-26-2019, 01:15 PM

I noticed a huge difference with my first tank of non ethanol.

No more back fires.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Garage
I am also in the Non-Ethanol camp.

I use it in everything except my truck and jeep.

2018 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS
- custom Airbox
- AIS blocked
- Yamaha OEM rear cargo box
- American Trails fender bag
2015 Kawasaki Brute Force 300
- stock
2011 Yamaha TW 200
- Jimbo windshield
- Barkbuster type handguards
- Yamaha OEM rear rack
- D.I.D. chain
- customized exhaust and tip
1987 Honda Fatcat
- customized metal rear fender and headlight pod
post #10 of 17 Old 04-28-2019, 05:36 AM

I always find it amazing to read about the differences between countries. In Europe, we only have the choice between 95 or 98.
Both run just fine.
I wonder if the engines are tuned differently between US and EU models.
However, it would make sense because of the tight environmental regulations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page