Engine tuner questions - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 11 Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
TRW

Engine tuner questions

I have read so much info on improving engine operation, that I am curious if any of you have bad results or recommendations. I also know there are some info on this, but I could not find it, and I am hoping for some up to date info, as you are all a great resource for good info. Also, does adding this device to my new machine, void the warranty?
post #2 of 11 Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 PM

I can't help you much on a tuner but as far as voiding the warranty I would say that it would.

Your machine came with a specific factory tuning and any alteration to this tuning will void the warranty. I know on most vehicles that have a computer that sets the tuning they have a program within it that will tell them if anything has been changed or altered. I am not sure on the Kodiak but.........

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-24-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
TRW

Well I have a long extended warranty so I guess I will hold off. I am curious if you feel that a tuner is a good thing or overstated. It does not matter how cold it is outside, when I shut this machine down it smells hot and the radiator fan runs even when it is 20 degrees. I am not concerned about the running quality, it is fine, I am looking for engine longevity.

Thanks for the input!

post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 AM

The nice thing about a fuel tuner is you could always take it off before going in if you ever have something going on.
I thought that they couldn't void the warranty unless they could prove the the item you added caused the issue.

Anyway my warranty was up after 6 months, and I never gave it more than a couple thoughts...where to get a tuner, and how long would it take me to install it.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM

According the the laws here in the US they shouldn't be able to void it if the tuner didn't cause the problem. However if they suspect one and see that the tuning parimiters have been changed they can do just about anything that they want to and it is up to you to fight them. And like all big companies their pockets are a lot deeper than ours if it goes to court.

On the temperature and the fans running even when it is cold out, you need a actual temperature gauge to tell you just how hot your machine is getting. On my aftermarket gauge set up it has a actual temperature gauge with the sensor installed in the radiator hose. I have found that even when running in cold temperatures that the max temperature that I have seen in 206 F when the thermostat opens and then it will stay between 194 F and 206 F.

I never have watched to see just when the fans kick on.

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
TRW

I fully believe that these engines, as with many engines are set to run for maximum EPA testing. As some of you may know, in recent history and may still be the case, the California EPA had extra stringent requirements, and many engines could not be sold there. Lean engines burn up eventually, I wish I knew if that lean condition takes a year or a month off the life of the engine. I have a laser temp reader and I will take some readings on the engine and hoses and see what I find.

Thanks for the input and info!
post #7 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 12:12 AM

The fan runs after you shut the key off? That is not right.

2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
1985 Honda 250sx
1983 Yamaha Tri-Moto 175
post #8 of 11 Old 03-06-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I can't help you much on a tuner but as far as voiding the warranty I would say that it would.

Your machine came with a specific factory tuning and any alteration to this tuning will void the warranty. I know on most vehicles that have a computer that sets the tuning they have a program within it that will tell them if anything has been changed or altered. I am not sure on the Kodiak but.........
the fuel tuners are piggy back, they do not alter the fuel map in the ecm, they read data and send the new signal to the injector telling it how much fuel. no altering the ecm so nothing could be detected to void warrenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW View Post
Well I have a long extended warranty so I guess I will hold off. I am curious if you feel that a tuner is a good thing or overstated. It does not matter how cold it is outside, when I shut this machine down it smells hot and the radiator fan runs even when it is 20 degrees. I am not concerned about the running quality, it is fine, I am looking for engine longevity.

Thanks for the input!
it states in the owners manual that the fans will come on once the atv reaches operating temperature
just because they come on doesn't mean it's running hot, it's at proper temp and the fans are ensuring it stays in that range

Quote:
Originally Posted by VmaxSteve View Post
The fan runs after you shut the key off? That is not right.
nobody said anything about fans on after key off, he said even when its 20 degrees outside. you need to read it and see he missed a comma in his sentence.
Vincent likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-08-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
TRW

Thanks for the input, I will be considering this, but I want to see how hot it runs in warm weather.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 AM

@TRW You need the EHS Tuner and you also need to do the AIS delete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page