Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Speed wobble

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Nomad 
#1 ·
So I put new tires on my 18 kodiak. Some 26/12/11 artracx radials all the way around. I have noticed I get a slight wobble now in the handlebars when I am driving on hard surfaces over 25 to 30mph. Have any of you with bigger tires experienced this? Should I have gone with a slimmer tire up front? Does it need to be balanced?

#2 ·
Get them balanced and you should be good to go.

#3 ·
exactly what i'm going through ..... left dealer, drove to tire shop, had my new 26x9&11-12 installed. go home, out for first drive, 52kph it starts to shake, by 70kph, gotta let off, barely hold onto bars.

of course in my excitement to go on that first drive ..... i forgot to drop air pressure down to 5ish lbs....so my first 4km was on tires with 20+ psi. lol

hopefully some counteract balance beads will help.

#5 ·
That can certainly be the case as well.

#7 ·
It really depend if they are just out of balance OR out of round. I’ve had good luck using Airsoft BB’s in Swamper truck tires and I plan on putting 2oz in each tire when I mount up my new Reptile Radials this week. With airsoftBB’s/balance beads you will still get a bit of shake until you hit 25-30mph then they settle in and smooth out. If the tire is out of round you will pretty much be SOL unless you can get swapped under warranty.

#12 ·
I have a pair of ITP Mudlites on the rear. stock size. which is just fine. They have been awesome tires.....you guys think if I went from the 25 inch stock.... to brand new 26 inch Mudlites all the way around, that would be just fine? I am very much considering it soonish

#14 ·
There are better tires out there then Mudlites.

#15 ·
I just know I can get a set of mudlites for about 280 dollars from amazon. That is a good bit of motive. And i like how they look aswell. Tires like bighorns dont look very good to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.