Diff oil change - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Diff oil change

hello all, just doing the first service on my kodiak, and upon draining the rear diff oil i noticed i loosened the drain bolt further up towards the engine(not the engine, its still on the rear diff) and theres another drain bolt right under the back of the diff where the axles go into the housing, did i just drain something different than diff oil or does the rear diff just have 2 drain plugs? thanks and sorry for the dumb question. Im use to working on old junk bikes lol
post #2 of 21 Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM

You're in no danger to drain other fluid back there. It's all coming from the final drive. The one closer to the front is the right drain plug for changing the oil on the final drive as stated in the service manual, I don't really know what is the purpose for the other plug, it may be a partial drain since is at a higher level than the front plug. Or a backup since I heard that the allen heads on those drain plugs strip out easily...?
post #3 of 21 Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM

i had the same question thats why im on this forum lol.... my next question would be what did ya fill it with? i used the same diff fluid i used in the front think i need to drain it again and use something different?

post #4 of 21 Old 12-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelangfordman View Post
i had the same question thats why im on this forum lol.... my next question would be what did ya fill it with? i used the same diff fluid i used in the front think i need to drain it again and use something different?
I used the Yamaha recommended Mobilfluid 424 , takes about 1/2 liter. I only found it in 2.5 Gal jug , so I'm set for a long time with that fluid lol
post #5 of 21 Old 11-06-2017, 03:55 AM

dealer gave me amsoil synthetic atv-utv transmission & Differential fluid
13$ quart
to use in both front and rear
post #6 of 21 Old 11-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Not sure why they would do that, from what I understand they are two different oils from and rear
post #7 of 21 Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM

There are indeed two different oils required for the diffs.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM

Odd . . . the dealer also gave me the same diff oil for the front and rear diffs.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Doing a little bit of searching turned up this on the Moblfluid 424 that is suppose to be used for the final gear lube:

Vehicles
Car Parts & Maintenance
Engine Oil
Q: What is the oil equivalent to Mobil 424?
A: Quick Answer
Some equivalent products to Mobilfluid 424 include Chevron 1000 THF, 76 Hydraulic Tractor Fluid, BlueSky Terra Multi-Trac THF and Kendall Hyken 052 Farm Tractor Lubricant. Mobilfluid 424 and equivalent products work with applications requiring API GL-4 or SAE 80W grade lubricants in all gear applications except hypoid gear designs.
Continue Reading
Full Answer

Mobilfluid 424 hydraulic oil is a high-performance multipurpose tractor lubricant designed for agricultural and commercial tractors. ExxonMobil recommends Mobilfluid 424 for commercial transmission applications that require Type A, Dexron and Type F fluids only. Some of its benefits include optimized clutch and PTO performance, consistent operating response, extended seal life and reduced wear and maintenance costs.

So you should not be able to use the same oil for the Final Gear Oil and the Differential Oil since according to the manual the Differential Oil should be SAE 80 API GL-4 Hypoid Gear Oil because of the disclaimer that I have highlighted in red in the above.

Now will it work, quite possibly but I would like the correct oil in what ever I am running it in.

A big problem as I now see it is finding a place that sells MobllFluid 424 in a quart bottle instead of 5gallons+

Perhaps that is why the dealer is dolling out the SAE 80 API GL-4 oil

2016 Kodiak 700 base model with a few SE parts CV boot guards, receiver hitch, Grizzly bars. Trail Tech Striker speedometer/voltmeter. 501 Parts Electric Grabber locking diff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JimP; 11-07-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 PM

I found it in 2.5 gal container here:
https://www.zoro.com/mobil-mobilflui...89/i/G1971051/

It will last a loooong time since a fluid change only takes about a half quart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page