Locking front diff conversion - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 29Likes

post #1 of 71 Old 03-19-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Locking front diff conversion

today i went up some piles of dirt, down on the otherside went nose down and to the left, front left had no traction as was in a hole, front right was in a good spot to pull out of it... but it wouldnt turn... 4 wheeler came over on me and had to bail off. then i had to winch it out because it wouldnt start again at that angle... which upset me a bit as well. But now i really want to convert my front diff to a locking one... because i feel it would have pulled right out of that and also add power steering later, but one step at a time.

anyone know what i'd need in order to convert it to a locking differential? i know the eps model has locking diff, power steering and digital guages... and i'm guessing a push button diff lock somewhere.

any help/guidance/info/part #'s is much appreciated.

2016 Kodiak 700, Highlifter 2" Lift, 28" ITP Mud Lite XL's, 14" ITP SS312 Rims, Grabber Diff Lock, Cree 12" 72 Watt LED Spot/Flood Light Bar, 6" LED Flood Light Bar in rear, Highlifter 'Diver Down' Snorkel Kit, Highlifter Radiator Relocation kit, HMF Gen3 Optimizer, 1.5mm shim, grizzly clutch weights, Trakker 3k Winch.
post #2 of 71 Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 PM

The eps does not have diff lock. The se does.
post #3 of 71 Old 03-19-2016, 09:21 PM

To add power steering and a locker, it would probably be financially not feasible verses just selling/trading up to an SE. Or a Grizz.

Glenburn Maine
2016 Kodiak EPS (Blue)
1997 Honda TRX300 4x4

post #4 of 71 Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
then i'll focus on the locker.. also i read somewhere that maybe holding the front brake a little may engage both axles as its torque sensing. will try next time i have just one front spinning.

2016 Kodiak 700, Highlifter 2" Lift, 28" ITP Mud Lite XL's, 14" ITP SS312 Rims, Grabber Diff Lock, Cree 12" 72 Watt LED Spot/Flood Light Bar, 6" LED Flood Light Bar in rear, Highlifter 'Diver Down' Snorkel Kit, Highlifter Radiator Relocation kit, HMF Gen3 Optimizer, 1.5mm shim, grizzly clutch weights, Trakker 3k Winch.
post #5 of 71 Old 04-05-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
tomorrow I'm going to get an actuator from a scrapyard 660 grizzly and all the wiring and switch... or maybe the entire 4 wheeler., probably won't cost me $20 i bet, i think it'd be worth a shot to see if putting the actuator on mine will turn mine into a locker. maybe it's an internal thing, maybe it's just the actuator.. i can't locate a service manual to tell exactly any internal difference between the kodiak and a se kodiak.. either one, so this is next best way to tell i figure. i took photos of the junk yard one and mine... aside from dirt and time it looks the same where except the linkage on mine and actuator on the other. if i'm right i have locking diff, wrong and i have what i had lost $20 and have some extra parts.

side by side comparison attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diff-drv-side.jpg
Views:	1430
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	1745   Click image for larger version

Name:	diff-pass-side.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	1753  

post #6 of 71 Old 04-05-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
actuator on it and one from a 2014 viking/grizzly/rhino
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	actuator.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1761  

post #7 of 71 Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 PM

Keep us post on how you get along with this.When I was buying my eps, the salesman neglected to point out the no diff lock . Had I known, I would have bought the se. Having said this, Hondas had no diff locks for years and people got by. I plan on putting zillas on mine.
post #8 of 71 Old 04-05-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
it's likely going to be a couple weeks, had to put it in the shop today for radiator leak. under warranty so.. that's good i guess. i did talk to a mechanic at the yamaha dealer, he thinks i'll need the diff too from the other. i'm still not convinced. i will get it and do this and find out. will post and let ya'll know.

post #9 of 71 Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, so i got a diff from an 08 Big Bear 660 and tried putting the 3B4 actuator / servo onto 2016 kodiak diff, it bolted right up but the diff does not have a locker. just had to confirm. Also it cost me a lot more than $20.. as i bought the diff, the wiring harness, the switch, the cdi, relays.. everything. Cost me $240. All i needed though is the diff with the 3B4 and the connector plug and enough wiring to reach the top. could've saved $100 by not buying the CDI. (guess i'll try to sell it on ebay and make some money back.)

The other diff had a ujoint yoke on it, i removed that and put on the yoke from the kodiak.. all bolted together nicely. shafts fit perfect and all.

next came wiring, I contemplated all the wiring and relays and cdi etc but it was too much of a mess to figure out. even with a service manual and wiring schematic it would be a nightmare to get it all working with the big bear selector switch and everything involved. I found that all I needed was the 2 far left pins from the servo. 12v and ground connected one way it spins one way, reverse the wires and it spins the other way.

To get the 12v and ground I spliced into the adapter where my winch plugs in instead of splicing into factory wiring. then i got a double pole double throw toggle switch from radio shack, it resets back to center when released. https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717529733
12v on one side, ground on other side, then run 2 wires from diff to the switch on one end of switch.. splice another set onto the same wires and flip them and put on other side of switch. mount switch somewhere. works like a champ in/out of 2wd/4wd and can lock it. just a matter of holding the switch. here's a pic of how to do the switch.

Diff lock works.. much harder to steer in diff lock, but i love it already. did some 4wd diff lock donuts just trying it out. wish I had power steering now... still very happy with result. I will get power steering on this next. watch and see.

I hope this has been somewhat understandable and I hope this helps someone like me that wants diff lock for cheap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	toggle.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1993  
YammyPower and Laval like this.

post #10 of 71 Old 05-15-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Demonstration video here https://youtu.be/LZ7ypodXNZ0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page