Changing Clutch Weights - Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Changing Clutch Weights

I have done alot of research on the 2016 Kodiak 700 & Grizzly 700. I also know that the Grizzly is quicker off the line and can easily pull a wheelie unlike the Kodiak. I did notice that all the drive train is the same, i.e intake, throttle body, engine, exhaust, and transmission. The rear diffs are different (Grizzly has rear disc brakes and different lock, where the Kodiak has wet brake and no different lock). The front diffs are the same. The one thing that I noted was that the weights in the clutch are different, weights. The Kodiak has heavier weights which are suppose to give it lower torque and a slower pull off the line, while the Grizzly has lighter weights which gives it that faster off the line (and easier wheelies) power. Now supposedly the Kodiak will be a few mph faster then the Grizzly, because the heavier weights will keep the belt tighter on the ramps and it also has smaller tires then the Grizzly. So with all this info I would think that if I just exchanged my weights out for the Grizzly weights that it would be peepie on the throttle like the Grizzly. Any thoughts would gladly be appreciated, I did most of my research at cheapcycleparts.com which gave me all the scymatics in detail including pics and part number. I put both the Grizzly and Kodiak side by side and reviewed the drive train part for part and the only thing i found different were the weights in the clutch.
dashaint likes this.

aka, Mudslut
2016 Kodiak 700 w/ Snorkel Kit, Front & Rear Luggage Boxes, Auxbeam 12 inch Led Light Bar, Auxbeam 6 inch Reverse Light, 3500 pound BadLands with Synthetic line and hawse fairlead, Sheave milled 3mm, replaced stock head lights with Led Light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by robval1987; 12-27-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling
post #2 of 42 Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM

From what I heard that's the only difference engine wise. I've only had my Kodiak for a few weeks, I'm really impressed so far, this thing has a lot of potential. thinking of changing clutch weights to the lighter grizzly weights also, but I don't know how involved this change would be.
Currently in a effort to get it sounding better I have installed a 2R exhaust tip, and waiting on HMF fuel optimizer.
post #3 of 42 Old 12-28-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb

I ordered my weights from cheapcycleparts.com, ran me about $40 for the 8 weights plus shipping. The weights are for the 2016 Grizzly 700 are 18 grams and the weights for the Kodiak 700 are 30 grams (big difference). Heavier weights translates to slower more increasing power and torque, vs lighter weights power off the line and a little bit more top end in speed. I also found out that the two share the same rims, tires are 1 inch taller 26s on Grizzly vs 25s on Kodiak. Thinking about an upgrade as I wear out these tires. You can also use the Grizzly handlebars (2 1/2 inches taller and almost 3/4 inch more pullback) vs Kodiak, better when standing because the bars are a little higher and pulled back. Any way there is several YouTube videos on cleaning and servicing the clutch, pretty straight forward. I'll post picks as I complete the mod. I also want to do a comparison on distance and top speed between the two and will post this.

aka, Mudslut
2016 Kodiak 700 w/ Snorkel Kit, Front & Rear Luggage Boxes, Auxbeam 12 inch Led Light Bar, Auxbeam 6 inch Reverse Light, 3500 pound BadLands with Synthetic line and hawse fairlead, Sheave milled 3mm, replaced stock head lights with Led Light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old 12-28-2015, 11:02 PM

Great thx... Looking forward to see how she runs after
post #5 of 42 Old 01-01-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pulled the clutch cover and removed 4 weights totalling 120 grams. Leaving 120 grams in the clutch. Grizzly has 18 gram weights (18 x 8 =144 grams total), EPI Clutch Kit has 16 gram weights (16 x 8 =128 grams total). My Kodiak is like a raped ape. I can pull the front up into a wheelie with hardly any effort. I am not going to leave only 4 weights in the clutch, but I was impressed with the results. I think between 16 gram weights, 1.0 mm shim and a stiff spring this Kodiak will pull just as hard and fast as a Grizzly.
dashaint likes this.

aka, Mudslut

post #6 of 42 Old 01-01-2016, 09:59 PM

(8) 18 gram weights and you got the grizzly setup. I just added the 2R tip and installed the HMF optimizer, Sounds fantastic, Pretty noticeable difference definitely gained some hp much better throttle response, runs cooler. These things are really lean on factory setup I could not run just the tip, lots of backfiring and sputtering, ran hotter, just leaned it out way too much, killed driveability...the HMF fixed that, happy with the combo. The power is there, I will be installing the 18 gram weights next week. I think that will be it unless I get bigger heavier tires then I'll add a shim..
post #7 of 42 Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What was the part number of the HMF Optimizer that you you ordered? I just received my 2R tip and if it is going to cause backfiring and rough running then I will be ordering the Optimizer next.

aka, Mudslut

post #8 of 42 Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM

I took pic of box, but just go to HMF website. Under tech section, tech it will show you the settings it's gonna come with, I haven't messed with preset on mine seems to be pretty close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1451923684838.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	505  
post #9 of 42 Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Send a video of the ride with less clutch weights
post #10 of 42 Old 01-13-2016, 02:20 AM

Bump for the finished product! I'll be picking up a kodiak and am curious about this mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page